Part 2

"Sometimes friends can do things that even parents can't"

The room boy came with their food, Virat parted away from Mahi to receive the door and Mahi instantly felt empty. Virat took the tray from the boy and sent him off. He picked the bowl of soup and went to Mahi Bhai. He gently placed his hand on Mahi's shoulder, breaking his trance, and handed him the bowl and said, "Come on now, be a good boy and eat", trying to sound like Mahi and lighten the mood, but failed miserably, as Mahi looked at him blankly.

Mahi took the bowl but his hands shivered and the bowl was about to fall when Virat caught it and said, "Leave it, I'll feed you". He took the bowl from Mahi and started to feed him, occasionally having his own food. Mahi let Virat feed him thinking What he had done to get a brother like his Cheeku. Who was with him, supporting him, loving him and caring for him when the whole world was against him. 

At that point, Virat's phone ringed. It was Anushka. Wondering why she is calling so late in the night, he answered it, pressing the phone between shoulder and ear, as he continued to feed Mahi.

As soon as the call got connected, the first thing Anushka said, or rather demanded, "How is Mahi Bhai?" Virat smiled listening to the concern in her voice, she was definitely the Yin to his Yang, She knew what he was going through and seemed to share the same sentiments about the situation. Anushka adored Mahi Bhai and loved him as he loved him. So its was evident that she guessed what was happening here and was hell worried about Bhai. 

"He is ok, Nush, we are eating right now and I'm with him", assured Virat, "Nushkie, can you do one thing?"

"What?"

"Call Bhabhi and talk to her"

"I would have done that even if had not said, Vii. Don't worry, I'll call Sakshi. In fact I was planning to visit her. What do you say?"

"Perfect, You go meet her"

"Ok bye, Call me later. I'll be waiting"

"Yeah sure, Bye."

They finished having dinner and Virat tucked Mahi in the bed. He sat beside Mahi and ran an affectionate hand through his hair. Mahi instinctively leaned into the touch and snuggled closer to Virat as if it was the only thing calming him. After some time, he mumbled tentatively, "Can you please stay with me tonight?" , looking at Virat with red-rimmed, expectant eyes that made Virat want to cry. Gulping down his pain, he said, "Of course, Mahi bhai. That's not even a question". 

Mahi fell asleep after some time, with great difficulty, as Virat sat there thinking how to sort out this mess. First, he needed to make the team believe Mahi bhai. At the exact moment he thought that, Rohit followed by Jaddu, Shikhar, Bhuvi and Jinks came into the room, looking all worn out. Well, telepathy with the brothers at its best. Rohit sat on Mahi's bedside opposite to Virat, looking at Mahi with sad eyes. Virat rubbed his arm with his free hand. Their eyes met and they kind of mirrored each other. Virat looked at the others. Their condition was no better and at that point, he knew that these people, who knew Mahi bhai, who worshipped him, can never doubt him. That thought itself brought a little peace to Virat. 

"Is he okay now?", whisper-asked Rohit. They had been waiting for Virat to handle the situation as they knew he would be the best for Mahi bhai.

"Kind of" and Virat narrated all that happened from when he came to the room while the others listened in a horrified silence. They knew that all these things will affect bhai but the extent was clearly unknown to them.