Chapter 5

Ari and Zim were quietly walking down the sidewalk. Ari's irritated look she had when they started walking has changed into a normal expression. Zim's awkward expression changed into a slight smile. It was peaceful. Ari maybe didn't enjoy Zim's company, but Zim very much enjoyed Ari's. It was calm. They didn't need to talk to know each other's feelings. Ari soon became relaxed. She broke a small smile, but as soon as she did, she changed into a normal expression again. Zim noticed it and he smirked at her. Ari just rolled her eyes and went ahead. She was almost finished on the damn seat. She actually already had a few parts of the ship finished. She now needs to fix the glass, engine, control panel, and a bunch of other broken stuff inside the ship. It will take a ridiculous amount of time, but if she doesn't just give up on it, it will be a functioning ship in about eight months.
Ari looked around. The Earth actually fascinated her. The changing seasons were amazing. Although she was warned by Zim that the rain was poisonous, when it was raining, she liked to sit next to the window in Zim's living room and listen. Of course she did something during it, but it was nice, that's what was the point.
Now, she was walking on a pretty warm day for no reason at all. She looked over at Zim who was walking right next to her. He awkwardly smiled at her and she just turned her head back to look in front of her. „She probably doesn't like this walk..." Zim though as he started regretting inviting her. It was weird. But, he knew it's a good kind of distraction to calm her mind a bit. And Ari did seem relaxed.

The two decided to go home. They walked for about half an hour. Ari hated to admit it, but Zim was right, she needed a break.
The female irken went down the elevator into her room. Well, it technically was a workplace, but Ari spent almost all her time in it, so she self-proclaimed it as her room. She finally fixed the seat and went to install it to the ship, when she saw a small irken standing aside the ship. He was hilariously smaller than the ship itself.
„What?" Ari asked annoyed. He wants something again.
„Can the all powerful Zim h...help you?" Zim asked. Ari's eyes widened for a bit.
„Why?" she asked, now curious.
„So it can be done sooner." Zim said in an obvious tone. Ari looked at him with surprise. She never thought Zim would want to help her. She thought about it for a moment, thinking it's a joke at first, but then she just shook her head and looked around.
„Whatever." she mumbled and though of the easiest thing he could do. „Fix my control panel." she said as she handed him the panel, which he could barely hold. Ari took the whole ship apart a few weeks back so she can focus on all the parts separately.
„Of course! And I'll fix it like the amazing Ziim fixes everything he touches!" Zim exclaimed and left.
Ari thought about it. Zim is...suddenly nice to her. She has to be on guard so he doesn't try anything.

Another two months go by and Skool is over. Ari was relieved. During the Skool days, Dib would keep trying to talk to Ari. She hated it a lot. Most of their talks ended with Ari just leaving the space. That proved to be a bad idea when she just left a class with no explanation one time.
Zim and Ari's relationship also got a little tense. Zim has been watching Ari from afar and he's found he's very amazed by her. She always does everything so elegantly and right, and the way she focuses on her goal but also every little detail was inspiring. She's also able to be sweet once she really likes someone - like her relationship with the Tallest, or even Ali. Zim found it all amazing. She was amazing. He had tried to get closer to her more often, but since Ari's just always working on her ship, she found him annoying. Zim one time even thought he doesn't like her, but the image of her in his head. He just admired her so much, although they haven't really spent any quality time together. Zim really wanted to get to know Ari better, and so he planned the perfect plan to ask Ari out, on a dinner date. Quality time spent together to get closer. Wonderful.
One faithful night in June, Zim has gathered all his courage - he's going to ask Ari out. Although Zim didn't really think about is as a date. He thought about it as an opportunity to get closer and he got really excited every time he thought about it.