Chapter 6

It's July. It's really hot outside and the sun is out until eight PM. Children are anywhere but inside playing summer games, because they don't have to worry about school.
Ari's room is air-conditioned so she can work all the time. And she certainly does. She hasn't slept in three weeks since she's been constantly working - not like she needed to sleep, anyway. She's getting along with Zim pretty fine. Ever since their "date", they had their fair share of awkward situations, where Ari was pretty much oblivious to the blushing Zim right next to her. Zim became very attached to Ari and his time with her is always the highlight of his day. They went on one more dinner, and it was definitely better than the other one. They talked a lot more, they talked about the Tallest and Irkens in general. Ari actually laughed one time. Zim laughed with her as they smiled at each other with joy. Then, of course, Ari went back to being normal, but she still enjoyed the night.
Now, Zim was repairing the engine alongside Ari, for about a week. Ari knows what she's doing but fixing an engine in two is definitely not easy. Zim also didn't finish the control panel yet.
„I really enjoyed our last dinner together, and so I've been thinking, can't we make it a more regular thing? Like, every month, maybe week?" Ari suggested all of a sudden in a normal tone. She wouldn't think it's something Zim would blush about, but he certainly did.
„Of course. Maybe every week, like you said. That doesn't sound half bad." Zim nodded with a serious face.
„Wonderful. It's a date." Ari said with a slight smile. Blue covered her cheeks as soon as she realized what it sounded like and Zim smirked at her. „I meant literal date. In the calendar." she quickly added and turned around so her back would face Zim.
Ari really liked the dinners. There was no deep point or meaning in them, but she could just enjoy Zim's company. She still wasn't sure if that was a bad thing or a good thing though. Ari snickered at her own thoughts and she went over to her monitor to start typing a new file. It was about the engine and how swell the repairs were getting. Then, she trailed off. „Zim..." she looked behind her to look at the small irken who was holding a screwdriver dumbfoundedly. „How do I feel about Zim? I certainly don't hate him...or dislike him." Ari thought as she sat down on her small chair. „Wait...I have no idea how I feel about Zim!" she yelped instead of thought and then quickly covered her mouth. Zim looked at her, his antennas slowly perking up.
„You didn't hear that." Ari said as bright blue covered her cheeks while she looked back at the monitor. Zim didn't say anything at all. He went back to repairing whatever he did before.
„Oh wow...I'll see what I'll be able to write about him. He's a defect, I shouldn't think highly of him, anyway. Well, more like I can't." Ari thought while typing.

Ari finished typing and she stared at the page blankly. It was all sorts of opinions mashed into one. There was one sentence where she even amdired him, and one where she wanted to kill him. It was so random and she read it over and over in awe.
„Well, that...didn't help at all. But I guess I can boil it down to...I want to befriend him?" Ari thought as she looked over at Zim who looked back. He smiled a bit and Ari smiled back. They looked at each other for a while, just looking in each other's eyes. Zim has come to a conclusion that he has feelings for Ari and it's not about befriending her anymore. Well, it still is, they're not really friends. What he meant was that he probably wants Ari to be his mate. It was not a strong emotion, it was just a feeling he'd sometimes get. He really liked everything about her. And as she started opening up to him, he's found she's really fun to talk to. Ari thought that Zim's not the worst irken to get stuck with. And now, looking into his eyes...she could say he's cute. They both continued staring at each other until Zim decided to say something.
„So are we just going to stare at each other or did you want to say something, scum?" he spat out. Sure, he wants to stay close with her, but do you know what THAT could do to his mission?
„I was hoping you'd say something useful. Obviously not." she said back in an arrogant tone. Sure, he's not the worst irken to get stucked with, but he's on the list.
„Well then. Are you going to write more useless stuff or are you going to work?"
„I don't know, you don't seem like you're working yourself." Ari pointed at the male irken who was still holding a screwdriver, not knowing what to do with it.
„I'm working! You can't prove anything!" he yelled as he pretended to work on the engine.
„Whatever. I'm going to finish the control panel if you're not going to." Ari said as she got up from her small chair and went towards the door.
„Sure, whatever." Zim muttered and Ari swiftly left the room. „Why do I hate her one second and then want to kiss her the next-...UGH NO! WHAT EVEN IS THAT!! STUPID!" Zim thought and kicked the box with tools out of frustration.
„Whatever, I shouldn't spend time with Zim. I'm going to get away from Earth anyway." Ari thought as she left the room, the memory of Zim and his smile not escaping her mind.
Ari started fixing the control panel and the only thing she could think about was Zim. Not anything about him in too much depth, just how she acts around him and how she talks to him. Does he find her annoying?...WHY SHOULD SHE CARE? She's an irken invader, one of the best if not the best, why waste her time on a defect. Yet...she wanted to talk to him. To hug him, to hold hands with him. She never understood affection outside hugs and all her Tallest displayed towards her - she never understood romantic affection. Was Zim romantic? She had so many mixed feelings. She had a crush once, even though it wasn't a really big one, and perhaps the other one even returned her feelings - but it was a long time ago and Ari's well past that. All of a sudden, she just stopped working and went back to her room.
„Zim?" she said as the irken quickly looked away from the engine.
„What? I'm...busy." Zim said, eyeing Ari suspiciously.
„I just wanted to say that I...appreciate your help and you in general. And..." Ari pulled Zim into a hug. Zim's eyes widened from shock and he didn't say anything. After a while, he just blushed and hugged Ari back.
„I like you too." Zim said. He knew Ari'd knew he meant  "like" like friends. He tightened the hug and leaned his head on Ari's shoulder. Zim's squeedlyspooch went haywire over this interaction. The female irken he actually thought about being mates with is hugging him, tight. Was she mind tricking him? Or is she really just being...nice?
„This is...all of a sudden, I know." Ari chuckled, ready to let Zim go slowly.
„No- um. Can we just stay like this for a bit?" Zim quickly said because he liked Ari's warmth and her letting go would mean being cold again. Ari's cheeks went a deeper shade of blue as she hugged Zim tight again. Zim hugged Ari back even tighter and smiled trough his dark green blush. A minute went by and Ari decided to speak up.
„So as I said, this is all of a sudden, but I just really appreciate your help. I crashed on Earth, alone and hurt and you provided me with shelter and tools to fix my ship. I can't thank you enough, so..." she quickly broke the hug and looked Zim in the eyes. She awkwardly landed her hands on Zim's shoulders and closed her eyes. Then, she licked Zim on the cheek.
Zim gasped. A lick on the cheek is a high sign of gratitude on Irk. When Ari backed away from his face, she laughed.
„W-WHAT IS SO FUNNY?" Zim yelled with a blush.
„This is so awkward, I'm sorry." Ari said between snorts. Zim's blush darkened as he found he loves Ari's laugh.
„Yes it is. And yes, you should've apologized. What an unnecessary distraction! We should get back to repairing and stuff." Zim said as he sat down on the ground. Ari just smiled and went to the doors.
„And Zim..." she said between the doors to get the male irken's attention. „We should hug more often." Ari blushed and quickly left.
„We should." Zim whispered to himself.

„Coompuuter, call the Tallest!" Ari said, imitating Zim.
„Your Zim imitation is getting better. Calling the Tallest."
„Thank youu." Ari said normally and smiled at the ceiling, laying her head on her hands and leaning against the table. The Tallest picked up quickly.
„Hey Ari!" Tallest Purple greeted the quite tall female Irken. Ari quickly returned the hello, and then noticed there's a third irken next to the two Tallest.
„Oh, hi Ali!" She greeted her best friend. Ali was a defective commander who the Tallest'd dispose of around a hundred years ago, but Ari grew attached to her and so she wouldn't let them. Ali's five years older than Ari but she'd still play pranks on the Tallest with her, and Ali'd get in trouble, even though Ari mostly thought of the pranks. They were an unstoppable duo, and are still friends to this day. Ari really missed Ali since she's been on Earth, but she forgot about her since she got busy.
„How long has it been since we last talked? A decade?" Ali joked. „Anyway, heard you're stuck on Earth. F."
„Thanks. And it's only been a year. Not my fault you keep doing nothing and that you don't talk to me." Ari laughed. Then, she cleared her throat. „My Tallest, the repairs are going well. Very well in fact. And Zim- and me are getting...closer, I think." Ari smiled and blushed. She didn't want to mention Zim, but he's all she thinks about. Ali snickered and looked at the Tallest, who were not amused.
„What do you mean? Are you blushing? Ari, are you okay?" Red blurted out, getting closer to his screen to inspect his child.
„Yes, I'm okay. I don't think Zim poisoned me or something, he's too cut-dumb for that." Ari stammered and blushed a darker shade of blue and chuckled.
„That's it, you're grounded!" Purple said furious, quickly understanding Ari has a crush. Red nodded with a serious expression. Ari just looked at them with a "seriously?" face.
„My Tallest. I'm literally STUCK on Earth!" she yelled and spread out her arms out of frustration.
„Well, you'll get grounded when you get back!" Red said. Ali just laughed in the background.
„I have a mission to finish, my Tallest!" Ari said, face-palming.
„Well, after that!" Purple said with an annoying tone.
„Ari come oon, he's soo out of your liege, he's like, a defective." Ali said, not believing ARI of all irkens would catch feelings for Zim.
„What? What are you talking about, Zim's not even my friend...WAIT, ARE YOU SUGGESTING I THINK OF ZIM AS A MATE?!" Ari yelped and her blush got even darker. Ali started laughing histerically and the Tallest looked at each other with a hesitant look. Ari never thought of Zim like that. She only thought of him as a defect. But...the last few months have been an emotional roller-coaster.
„...Yes." the Tallest said simultaneously with a worried look in their eyes.
„NO!" Ari yelled in a high tone and blushed a dark blue. „I DO NOT!"
„Aand you do." Ali smirked and the Tallest just looked angrily at her.
„Look Ari, if the ship's repairs take any longer, this may be dangerous to your mission. We're sending back-up right this minute." Red said, typing something on a screen.
„My Tallest, that won't be necessary-"
„We don't want to hear another excuse from you, Invader Ari!" Red said with the most serious and strict voice he could manage. Ari silently gasped and her antennas perked up. The Tallest never really snapped at her. They'd yell at her, sure, but never so seriously. They must really hate Zim.
„Fine." Ari said with gritted teeth. She got mad, but she decided that she'd rather not act impulsively on her emotions. „I'll call you tomorrow to tell you if they arrived yet, my Tallest." Ari said calmly and ended the call. After that, she screamed at the top of her squeedlyspooch-lungs and knocked over the table. Then, she sat on the floor and buried her head into her knees.
„I- I don't like Zim. I'm here just to- to fix my ship. Why are they so mad at me? What are all these emotions?! Do...do I like Zim?" were all the questions and more that were reeling in her irken head. She had a crush before but...she never felt like this.