Bargaining

After the phase of anger passes away we enter into the next stage – bargaining. This stage is a series of if only, like if only we had sought medical attention sooner.... , if only we got a second opinion from other doctor...... , if only we had tried to be a better person towards them and some other if onlys. This is what we can term as bargaining. We secretly start praying to god that some miracle happens and it changes the course of events and postpone the inevitable. It is a weak attempt to protect us from the doomed reality that the person is in fact far gone to be resurrected. The pain becomes too much for us to handle that we create an alternate reality where there is no pain and that person still exists .we ignore the reality and create our own happy little universe. When we snap out of the reality we hope for magic. Often guilt accompanies bargaining. It overtakes our mind and keeps us wondering if we did enough or is it our lack of responsibility that cost them their life? The guilt increases as the questions keep arising in our minds. We start to believe that there was something we could have done differently to save our loved one. We might think that its because of our stupidity that we could not save our beloved one and start blaming ourselves for the loss. Bargaining almost never finds a permanent solution. The logical truth is that even if we dodge the bullet this time, death is still inevitable. The person who has learned of a terminal illness will seek time to tie the loose ends. They will postpone telling the people of the same while they attempt to mend their broken relationships with people. Some will even hope that by eliminating some bad news they will be granted a few more precious time. By bargaining, a person is willing to concede the outcome, but attempts to do so by squeezing a few more moments of normal out of the turmoil that pound on their doors of life. The individual is clinging on the rope of hope like their life depends on it. Some people substitute the word 'negotiation' for the word 'bargaining' and use both the terms interchangeably. The process of bargaining helps the individual to accept this truth on an emotional/psychological level.