Chapter 20

By the time Lewis Kozak shows up at my house that night, I've mastered the casual-at-home look that in no way, shape, or form, resembles my actual casual-at-home look

I'm wearing skinny jeans, my bra remains on, and I've redone my make-up to ensure no hideous pimples are showing.

I don't want to analyse why I do these things, but I'm happy with the result when the doorbell rings.

I hear Jake thump downstairs and Lewis's voice carry up, muffled by the distance and walls, and then two sets of steps approach. My bedroom door is open, so I throw myself on my bed, pick up a book and pretend to be absorbed by it.

Jake breezes by my door and a second later, Lewis does too. He doesn't look in my direction or acknowledge my presence. He doesn't even attempt a covert glance.

Jake's door closes, and the Xbox turns on and I frown.

Not that I'm disappointed.

No, no.

That would be ridiculous.

I don't like Lewis Kozak, so I don't care whether or not he likes me.

This reassuring thought buoys me all the way to dinner, but when I enter the living room and find Lewis and Jake already there, I feel slightly put off again.

Because Lewis Kozak is still ignoring me.

Maybe ignore is too strong a word, but as I cross the room and say hello, I have the distinct impression of being treated like a household plant — like something you notice, but which only warrants a brief, indifferent glance.

I sit at the table and endure two long, awkward minutes while Jake and Lewis talk between themselves and Peter reads the newspaper.

Then Sylvia bustles over and places a steaming pasta bake in front of us.

"Serve up! Peter, can you help me with the salad?"

Peter grunts and folds his paper away before grabbing the Greek salad and plunking that down as well. Sylvia arranges cutlery and glasses and then, finally, everyone is seated.

"So, Lewis," Sylvia says. "Have you always lived in Sydney?"

I spoon myself a generous helping of pasta as Lewis replies, feigning disinterest.

"Yeah. I used to live in Botany Bay, but I moved up here with Mum when Dad left."

"I'm sorry to hear that," Sylvia says, "were you young when they split up?"

Lewis shrugs and takes a sip of water. "I was ten. It was okay, though. Mum deserved better than him."

There's an undercurrent of warning in his voice, not rude, but cautionary, and I realise any further questions may not be welcome.

Sylvia seems to notice this too, and she drops it, but I'm watching Lewis now, the ongoing conversation fading as my mind flickers back to when he'd apologised for hurting Jake.

"I know what it's like to have to defend someone you love. I never wanted to put another person in that position, so I'm sorry."

The suspicion that he'd been talking about his mum is just forming in the back of my mind when Lewis looks up and meets my eyes.

There's something in his gaze that makes me freeze, that makes my body heat all over and my breath stop.

It's the first time he's looked at me tonight and I realise that I've been aching for it. In the light of Sylvia's stained-glass lamps, I'm reminded of how green his eyes are, with gentle golden-brown flecks scattered within them, bright against the dark tan of his skin.

"Well, it's good your mum has you around to help," Peter is saying, his words muffled by a mouthful of pasta. "Teenagers can be handy that way. You wouldn't know that living with these two, mind you."

I wrench my gaze from Lewis to find Peter pointing his fork at Jake and me.

"Hey! I took the garbage out this morning."

"And I watered the pot plants last night!"

Jake and my protests flow in quick succession and the other three laugh.

"I'm not all that helpful," Lewis says. "I bring in a bit of scholarship money, but that's it."

Peter grins, and I know he wants to egg Jake and I on more, but Jake speaks before he can.

"You have a scholarship?" he asks, frowning. "For what?"

Lewis shifts, his expression turning awkward.

"It's not a big deal. It's just for indigenous students. Helps Mum put me through school and everything."

Suddenly, Jake is looking down at his plate, and Lewis is turning slightly red. The cause of their fight comes back to me full force and I find I can't look at either of them either — Jake out of anger and Lewis from embarrassment. Sylvia and Peter glance between the three of us, sensing the sudden tension, and I'm desperately trying to think of a new topic when Peter does it for me.

"So, the weather was pleasant today, wasn't it?"

His words do a better job than he could've ever hoped.

Jake simply hums in agreement, innocent and oblivious, but my cheeks flare — burning up like someone's set off tiny explosions in them — because Lewis has turned to me and all his discomfort has disappeared.

"I donno," he says. "I think it was a bit hot today. There was just a lot of heat. On my face."

My mind flashes back to him standing in the school corridor earlier, to the shock and my rambling and the way he'd grinned at me.

"What do you reckon, Claude?"

I send him my most tranquil expression.

"Yes," I say. "I think it was very hot today, Lewis."

"I guess it's a warm evening, too."

"Not really."

His grin comes quick, igniting like a flame to gas, and I realise I've made a terrible mistake because the moment Jake had mentioned the weather I had, once again, started blushing.

"Actually, you know what, I am a bit hot," I say. "Do you think we can turn the air con on Sylvia?"

Sylvia stares at me and then clears her throat.

"Yeah, sure."

She stands up to get the remote and Peter changes the subject, pulling Jake's attention away.

Lewis is still watching me though, and I shoot him a devastating glare, cursing him to the deepest pits of hell for the rest of the evening.

...

Who thinks Claude is gonna start simping for Lewis? 😜   

Don't forget to vote or comment if you're enjoying the story! ❤️

- Skylar xx