UGLY DUCKLING

This story is from Edward's pov. But if I change it to Bella's pov, I'll let you know.

Read and enjoy!

~jaya1812

Part 8 - Ugly duckling

It seemed like Renesmee had a hard time keeping her eyes open. But she was determined to finish her cartoon.

And she looked cute in her pajamas with tiny duckling patterns on them.

"Honey...we should get you to bed", Bella said softly.

"But it isn't over yet momma", she pointed sleepily towards the cartoon. What was in that cartoon? A brunette girl and her pink monkey are screaming and singing throughout their journey. And that brunette girl is so annoying. She can't see what's in front of her eyes and she asks us to stand up and sit down.

And she calls herself an explorer. Aren't they making good cartoon these days? No wonder, today's kids are spoilt.

Finally the show ended.

Renesmee had requested us to give her a separate room. She said she was 'big enough' to sleep alone. I and Bella made the bed in the guest room and her goodnight.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Edward?"

"Yes?"

"Do you...do you really believe that she has come from future?"

I thought about it for a moment. We were now wrapped in our sheets on our bed.

"If she hadn't come from the future...then where would she have come from?" I asked.

Bella asked, "If she had come from the future, then she must be missing from her time right? I'm not sure how time travelling works...but if she is here, she must have gone missing from the future right?"

Ah....time travel...I should have gone to the sci-fi movies whenever Emmett called me. Speaking of Emmett...

"And if she disappears from the future will she disappear forever?" Bella's panic cut off my thoughts.

"Let's not think about that right now ok? She's safe here and we'll protect her no matter what"

"We'll protect her no matter what", Bella's voice was fierce.

I smiled. I loved Bella in her 'mother-bear' mode.

"Of course we will. But..."

"What?"

"Uh...don't get angry...but don't you think her name Ren-es-mee is a bit weird? Of course it's the most beautiful name in the world...but don't you find it a bit weird", I asked nervously.

Just a bit weird? Duh! But I couldn't tell her that. The last thing I need right now is Bella kicking me out of the bed. Or room. Or worse, out of the house.

"There's nothing weird with that name Edward. If you think it's a bit long, you can always use a shortened form. Like Ren or.... I don't know but whatever you think of!"

God that Renesmee...that almost sounded like renaissance.

I was close to falling asleep when I felt something move under my toes. And Bella's. What was that? A little puppy? Or that meow meow?

I switched on the night lamp and took away our sheets.

"Renesmee? What are you doing here? "Bella asked to our daughter who was grinning sheepishly.

"I was afraid to sleep alone", she said sheepishly.

"That's why we offered you to sleep here with us", I rolled my eyes.

Self-advise; never let your four year old make certain decisions.

"Can I sleep with you both?" she asked expectantly. Her wide brown eyes sparkled. She wasn't like a duckling at all. She was like a baby puppy.

"Of course you can sweetheart", she snuggled between the both us and sighed comfortably.

"So...what's the story behind 'me calling you a little duckling'?"

"Hmmm...I'll tell you the story"

"I'm curious to hear that", curious to know how I became insane.

"It's from the story called 'ugly duckling'"

Ugly duckling? What does that have anything to do with this?

"There was a duckling that thought it was ugly. All his friend ducklings didn't like him since he was ugly"

"Is that how the story goes?" I croaked. That doesn't make any sense at all.

"Yes daddy. And if you interrupt me, I can't tell you properly." And so I kept my mouth shut.

"But one day it came across a flock of birds. They were not duckies. But these birds were very beautiful and kind. So the ugly duckling became their friend."

"After many days, the duckling grew up and it became it one of the birds"

But yeah I couldn't keep my mouth shut, "We know this story already. The duckling wasn't actually a duckling. It was a Swan. Am I correct?"

No response.

"Edward!" Bella scolded, "She asked you to not to speak! You hurt her feelings!"

"Wha-"

"Not a word. Sweetie, you can continue. Don't mind daddy"

"Okay. So as daddy said, it was a Swan. Baby Swans are not beautiful when they are young. But they grow up and become beautiful. That's the end of the story!"

I sighed. Did it make any sense?

"When momma was younger, she thought that she was ugly. But she was beautiful swan. That's why her name was Bella Swan. So she is the duckling. I am her little baby so I am the little duckling"

Oh. Now it made sense.

"Wow", Bella awed.

Renesmee yawned and then snuggled deeper between us. After a few moments, she was asleep.

"She is incredible", Bella cooed.

"Of course she is", I couldn't wipe that smile off my face.

I pulled them both closer and closed my eyes. I opened my eyes suddenly remembering something.

"Bella?"

"Yes?"

"I forgot to tell you...Alice and Emmett are coming tomorrow."

========================================

Next chapter we'll have Alice and Emmett! Hope you liked this!

PS: reviews make me happy.

PPS: votes make me happy too :)

~jaya1812