Chapter 1

It's nights like these that Jennie feels the most self-conscious. As an artist, the thought of what if this isn't good enough? has crossed her mind many, many times. Every piece she's sketched, painted, sculpted... no critic was or ever will be as thorough as she. But standing here, in the middle of her gala, with tons of people milling about looking at her work... adds an extra layer of insecurity.

She's a fairly well-known artist. She's popular enough that this night at The Met is dedicated to her work; they're opening a new wing with loads of her original paintings. Surely, that should be enough to tell her conscious to chill out, even if only a little.
But there's just something about it that bothers her. Everyone's all dressed up, most are drinking champagne and picking at the hors d'oeuvres, chatting over her work. Some aren't even looking at her art at all. They're just here for the free food and alcohol. Camila wishes that it didn't have to be so... so formal.

She eyes one of her paintings; she recalls painting it in nothing but overalls and rain boots on her balcony. The misty air and occasional drop of water from the gutter above is what gave it the sagging, droopy look it now supports. It's what made the piece click for her. It wouldn't have the same effect without it. But knowing that she wasn't wearing underpants while she painted it certainly reminds her that this piece does not need to be discussed over... is that bruschetta? Same goes for the others. Most of them were done in her studio in sweatpants. She was always covered in paint. Always.

But, this is the professional side of being an artist, and Jennie realizes that she'd better get used to it. Just then, one of her closest friends, Rosé, rolls up next to her. She's dressed in a finely pressed black suit, a red scarf draped neatly over her shoulders and adding a very... hipster vibe to the outfit. Her heels are shiny and probably cost more than the suit, if Jennie had to guess. All rented. Rosé doesn't believe in spending such a high price on clothing.

She smiles at Jennie, two glasses of champagne in her hands, "Care for a drink, madame?"

Jennie accepts with a little curtsy, taking a generous sip, "Are you enjoying yourself?"

"Well, I get to hang out with you and I get free stuff. So, yes. I am," Rosé fluffs her scarf, holding her champagne glass like royalty, pinky extended and all. Her eyes scan over Jennie's face, then narrow. She sobers up when she sees that Jennie's smile doesn't quite reach her eyes, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," Jennie deflects, "I'm just tired, that's all."

"Oh, come on," Rosé shakes her head, "I know you better than that. You should be happy! This unveiling will be great for your career!" She gestures widely to the scene around them, then comes back to Earth beside Jennje only when she forcefully tugs Rosé's arm down out of embarrassment.

"Yeah, I guess."

"Now, all you gotta do is paint twenty more masterpieces, and the next thing you know, your work will be moving up to... to... The Louvre!" She cheers.

"In Paris?" Jennie rolls her eyes, "Sure, let me bring my Korean art to Paris. I'm sure they'll select it."

"One can dream."

"You can dream."

"It's your art, Jennie," She purses her lips, "And you've gotten this far. I'm proud of you," She pats Jennie's shoulder in a sisterly manner, "You should be proud of you, too."

Jennie doesn't say anything. Rosé mumbles an apology before walking away, off to get more to eat and (probably) to drink. Jennie ponders her words as she knocks back the last gulp of champagne. If she was being honest, it had been over a month since she painted last. A lot of her time and energy went into planning this night and working with the gallery to make sure everything was organized the way she liked it, priced properly, etc... She hadn't had time to think about much else. Plus, the few pieces she had painted before her slump hadn't exactly been inspired.