Chapter 15

Jennie dips her brush into the specific shade of brown she had spent almost half an hour mixing to perfection. As she brings it up to the canvas, she watches as over the course of the next few minutes, Lisa's eyes come to life.

The shade of brown quickly joins the multiple other colors staining her overalls, along with every other shade of Lisa. Painting her is freeing. It feels like... well, it gives her the same feeling that kissing Lisa for the first time did; it's something that she has been dying to do, and finally doing it only leaves her with the desire to paint more. And not just Lisa, but... other things, too. Other things that have been looking for the right moment to show themselves to her.

Jennie looks up from her canvas, over to Lisa, who sits perfectly still on a stool just a few feet away, watching her paint. Jennie has been trying to get that look right for the past few hours. That expression that Lisa gets whenever they look at one another. She doesn't ever want to forget the way she looks at her... the way she's looking at her.

"Should I be doing something?" Lisa whispers. Jennie chuckles as she puts the finishing touches on Lisa's magnificent eyes,

"You're doing great, baby."

"Okay..." Lisa says, still whispering, "I've never been painted before..."

"Why are you whispering?" Jennie whispers back.

"I don't want to disturb you." Jennie just rolls her eyes, a loving smile on her face. When Jennie finishes, she gestures for Lisa to come around and take a look. Ljsa happily hops up from her seat and comes up beside Jennie, who watches as Lisa's eyes light up the longer she stares down at it.

"I will always be amazed by the attention you pay to detail," Lisa mumbles, reaching up as if to run her hand over her painted face, but pausing to hover just above it. Jennie glances at the painting, thinking Lisa must be looking at where Jennie has painted the reflection of a woman glimmering in Lisa's eyes.

"I'm thinking of replacing Rosé's portrait with this one."

"She would be pissed."

"Yes, I know," Jennie laughs, "Seriously, though. I want to put it over there," Jennie points to just behind where Lisa's head had been. There is just enough space on the wall for her to add Lisa's portrait, if she moves a few other pieces, "So I can look up and see you when I need a little inspiration."

"I'm honored," Lisa places a hand on her chest, which puffs out with pride. Jennie smiles and leans in, kissing Lisa. When Jennie pulls back, she watches as Lisa's eyes flutter open. For a moment, she thinks Lisa might say it, but then...

"So, about that sixteenth century portrait..."