Part 37

POV Lia

Finally, I'm out of that linen hospital bed and the needles and wires no longer reside on my skin. I'm confined to a wheelchair and bed rest, Cam certainly won't let up on the doctors rules, but i still made it out. She lifted me up and placed me in the seat of the car, another downside, the inability to ride my bike. She made sure I wasn't gonna die by sitting on a car seat before closing the door gently. She did a little half jog and slid into the driver seat.
"You good?" She's questioned receiving a nod from me.  She leaned over and kissed my forehead before starting the engine.  I made the request that no one be in the hallways when I arrive, I don't want the gang crowding around me to see if I'm ok.  I don't need nor want pity or to be looked at like I'm weak.
        The house was quiet as we pulled in, the sun rapidly heading towards setting.  Cam got out and got my chair.  She pushed it to my door and helped me out carefully avoiding the wound to my abdomen.  I sat in the metal chair grunting as my back hit the seat.
      "Ready to go home, Lia?"
       "No theatrics needed love, let's just go inside.  And I swear if there is a cake or a party I will shoot someone."  She laughed and started pushing.  Boss came out of the front to greet us.
       "Welcome home kid," he said as Cam threw him the keys to park the car.  Usually someone was stationed out here, Jack I think is his name, he parks the cars if we can't.  Not that it's much of a hassle, the kid knows mechanics and cars better than he'll ever know guns or fighting.  Someone put a slab of plywood down so I could get up the front steps, though the idiots didn't put anything on the staircase.  Boss came in right behind us.
        "Hey, I'm gonna carry her, do you think you could bring the chair up for me?" Cam asked.  Boss nodded.  "Sorry if this hurts a bit, love," she told me genuinely concerned.  She slowly picked me up and step by step got me to my room.  She laid me down on my bed and helped me sit up.
      "You ok?"
       "All good Cam," I told her watching the concern in her eyes stay stagnant.
       "I'll go grab some food for us I'll be right back."  So I sat and stared at the ceiling.  I heard a squeak in the floor from my right, I slowly grabbed my gun and aimed it.  It ended up just being Jackie, one of the gang's kids.
       "Don't shoot," she shrieked, the eight year old completely terrified.
       "I'm not gonna shoot Jackie, you just startled me," I said trying to calm the girl that had her eyes still tightly shut.  "What can I do for you Jackie?"
        "I just wanted to see if you were ok," She said slowly opening her eyes and dropping her hands.  "Momma said you got hurt."
        "Come sit kid," I said gesturing to the empty space next to me.  She waddled over and jumped onto the mattress.  "I got shot Jackie, but I'll be ok."
        "That's what daddy said and now he doesn't have a leg," she replied.
         "Your dad is a strong Jackie, as is your mother.  A lost leg couldn't slow him down."
           "He's got a fake one now, so I call him peg leg."
           "That's a good one kid," I told her and chuckled a little. 
           "Jackie!  Jackie where'd you go!?" I heard from the hallway. 
          "Peg leg's looking for you kid, better run and get food before Nolan takes it all."
         "Bye, Lia," She said dragging out the a and running from my room.  I laughed and waited for Cams arrival.

Thanks for reading.  See you next time, ciao

~Luna