2- Last Resort

"Your father could've at least come in." Meemaw said as she handed me the plates. 

"Don't be so hard on him." I said setting the plates on the table. "He's been rattled ever since mom went missing."

"She is my daughter. He could have at least told me if the police have found something or not."

"No, the police have found nothing and I know he's looking for her with Uncle Scott and his pack." I say placing the water jug on the table. "And also I think he was worried that you would rip on him for not taking care of mom."

"Of course, I was going to do that." She said setting the dish on the table and I sat down. 

I smiled at her weakly as she took off her mittens and placed them on the kitchen counter. She took off the aluminium foil carefully but the steam burnt her hand slightly. 

"Careful." I said holding her hand and she smiled. 

"I'm okay, sweetie." She said as I examined her hand. 

"No you're not." I said because to me it looked like it would leave blisters. I got up and made my way to the bathroom. 

"It's just a small burn, Ali." She said from behind but I didn't listen to her. 

I opened the medicine cabinet and took out an ointment and a few bandages. I quickly went back into the kitchen and sat down with her. 

 I opened the ointment and carefully applied on the small burn. "It is a burn, doesn't matter how small it is, you should take care of it before it turns into a blister and leaves a scar." I said loosely tying the bandage around it. "There, done!"

I looked up to see tears swirling down her cheeks. "What? Does it hurt that bad? Should I take you to the emergency?" 

She shook her head as she leaned forward and hugged me. "I'm just glad you take after your mother so much." She said. 

I smiled as I hugged her back and we sat there just like that for a few moments. We both missed her. We both loved her and we both didn't want to lose her. Dad wasn't the only one suffering, we all were suffering too. 

___

After dinner, we both decided to watch a movie on Netflix but because I fell asleep on the couch right just when the movie started, Meemaw had me go to bed and tucked me in. 

It felt weird and yet so good being tucked in at sixteen. I don't know how long I slept for but now I'm awake now and I think someone is moving outside my window. 

Now it could be I was hearing things but I knew my eyes were not playing tricks on me when I saw a shadowy figure lurking around right outside the window. 

Okay, so I had made a promise to myself to not follow the voice or the figure I see at night when I'm alone because of all the stupid horror movies I watched. But when my mind went to things that can happen to Meemaw if it's someone trying to get into the house, I thought about calling the police but I wasn't sure if it was actually someone or I was just seeing and hearing things. 

So like an impulsive dummy, that name is the courtesy of one of my childhood friends, Paul. I got up and picked up my phone from the bedside table. I used the light from the phone's screen to look for a weapon or something. It was then when my foot hit my duffle bag and I felt the wooden pole in it. 

My mom warned me about this time. 

I sighed as I opened the bag and took out the baseball bat. 

She said, "Sweetie, that bat is completely useless and it'll be proven useless in a fight with a supernatural creature like your father has shown from time to time back when we were kids."