XXXVI • WHERE YOU LEFT YOUR HEART

thirty-six | où tu as laissé ton coeur

Seven Years Later... (2026)

Rousseau's Restaurant

Victoria, Freya, Hayley, Vincent, and Josh are seated around a round table, early in the daylight for breakfast, when a young blonde waitress-- seemingly in her early twenties, with a slim figure, walks over to them as she's carrying a dark brown tray with many filled shot glasses on them.

A delightful laugh escapes Victoria, who was only shared a joke with the much younger hybrid, "Oh, come on, Hayley. Just admit it. You like him." Being the cute chef that they've speaking about, who's now in the kitchen, to which she sends a quick glance at him, who looks away from watching.

The young man, who seems to be in his early thirties with shaggy brown locks, possesses the mesmerizing vibrant emerald-coloured eyes she has ever seen and a scruff of a beard, named Declan Corcoran, being that he's originally from Dublin, Ireland, on his father's side of the Irish family. His mother, however, is conveniently the sister of the late Kieran O'Connell, Lacey Westphall (being Marisa's and Kaleb's single mother), and the father of the late twins Camille and Sean O'Connell. Therefore, Declan is conveniently the cousin to Kaleb, Marisa, Cami, and Sean, though distant.

Hayley slowly shakes her head as she mischievously covers both of her ears with her hands in a cute way, amusing them, "I am so not listening to this."

A cute giggle escapes Freya at that, "Well done. You made her blush."

"Okay, guys. If these don't prep your liver for Mardi Gras, then nothing will." The blonde waitress, with the nametag 'Poppy', serves them the tray of shots on the table, to which the older hybrid gets an idea by her presence.

Josh does a simple shrug as he takes one of the shots from her, "Eh, my liver was probably dead before I became a vampire, but thanks, Poppy."

"Yeah, hey, you looking for an extra tip? Sure you are. Why don't you tell that cute chef of yours, who can't seem to keep his eyes off of our friend here, to cook up something special?" Victoria suggested, to which the young vampire chokes on his own shot as he was in the middle of downing it, considering she's enthusiastic and keen enough to provide aid for Hayley.

"Oh no." Hayley, whose fair cheeks remain rosy colour in embarrassment, shakes her head in denial once more, "No, no, no, don't listen to her."

"I'll even double the tip." Victoria offered her, which earns her a playful hit on her right arm from the thirty-four-year-old hybrid seated on her right.

"Okay. Sorry, Hayley, can't argue with that." Poppy walks away with the tray.

Hayley gives the much older hybrid a look, "Was that really necessary?"

"Well, considering how you can't seem to shut your mouth up about the said cute chef at Rousseau's, then yes. You owe me a drink." Victoria said.

A quick scoff of disbelief escapes Josh, "Wow. Real subtle there, Vick."

"Well, what can I say? Subtlety's my strong suit." Victoria sarcastically said.

Vincent sighs, "Okay. So we should probably get back to Mardi Gras prep."

A genuinely tired sigh leaves Josh in pursuit, "Oh, come on, Vincent, we got this. Alright? It's gone off without a hitch for, what, seven years now?"

Victoria feigns contemplating where they left off, "Seems about right."

"Josh, that's because we haven't taken it for granted in seven years. Let me remind you: moments of prosperity are invariably followed by times of great pain, unless we remain vigilant." Always; Vincent Griffith reminded them.