Chapter 15

Mal had left her friends, Audrey, and Chad. Mal had sometime to find the well, but she didn't trust Gold to not play tricks. So wandering alone in the woods, was her choice. Was it the right one? Maybe, maybe not.

After awhile of walking in the dark alone, Mal gets an unnerving feeling that someone is following her. She manages to convince herself that it's her mind playing tricks on her, but as times passes on, she becomes less sure. She has two and a half hours to find the well to meet Gold, but will she make it?

Branches break behind her and someone is crunching leaves behind her. Whipping around, her hair flying in her face, she turns to see a man. Brown hair and blue eyes. He clutches a broken top hat in his hands, like it will protect him from everything evil. Or maybe it was the root of all his evils.

"Who are you?" Mal hisses. 

"It doesn't matter, the real question is why did you come here?" The man's voice is urgent and patient all at once. You could tell a lot from a person's eyes, but this man's eyes were crazy and calm.  Mal took a step back. Whoever this was, why risk anything?

"You shouldn't have come here, it's far too dangerous." The man mumbles under his breath.

"Why is it so dangerous? And who are you?" Mal was getting angry at this point. This stranger can't tell her what to do. This stranger knows nothing about her.

"False. I know everything about you. Maleficent Bertha, daughter of a version of Maleficent and Hades. You inherited many powers from your parents, and although you think you fight for good, when all said and done. Who was good and who was evil? You lived on the Isle of the Lost, a prison for the villains, until the soon to be King Ben wanted to give the children of his enemies a chance. So he did, inviting you and your friends, Carlos, Jay, and Evie. He invited you to attend school in Auradon at Auradon Prep. Little did he know that the villains had hatched an evil plot to get their children to steal the Fairy Godmother's wand. Which could break the barrier surrounding the Isle of the Lost. During Ben's coronation  it came time  to make a decision, you and your friends chose to fight for Auradon instead of your parents. You turned your mother into a lizard, which was the size of the love in her heart. You think you are safe, you think you can protect your friends and the people of Auradon, if you really thought that, then you wouldn't be here. This world isn't meant for so many. You can't be here, go home while you still can, leave and forget this place, it will all become a hazy dream, you will become queen alongside Ben. And everything will be back to normal." 

Mal froze, indeed this man knew a lot, but who is this man. 

"I am a traveler of realms. I was tasked to keep your realm in check, but for 28 years, I couldn't do so because of the curse and now our realms have collided. I've been there, checking up on Auradon. Making sure that the heroes won, to prove that people can have happy ending, but the real world is much messier. Take your next steps carefully Maleficent. Rumplestiltskin doesn't take failure too keenly and will be out for revenge.

"What's your name?" Mal asks weakly, her palms starting to sweat. 

"You may call me Jefferson, but if we were in a different realm, the Mad Hatter might be more suitable. Now I must go, my daughter is calling me home." Jefferson reaches in his pocket to pull out his ringing phone. 

"Wait, before you go, answer me this. Why was Auradon created?"

"I told you, so heroes could have a happy ending and villains were defeated. Your story is more simple, than ours." With that last statement, Jefferson leaves.

"No one is alone in the woods. There are always the mad people," Mal whispers to herself. She gets lost in thought, but continues walking to try and find the well. she has two hours left. Surely she could find it, the forest couldn't be that big, right?