Hayama Akira x Reader

(Reminder that the reader is gender neutral~ and also anyone can ask anyone on a date. Except me, I stop breathing when someone says hi to me.)

Well. This wasn't exactly what I had in mind when I asked Hayama Akira to go out with me for the day.

Akira examines the fresh spices, his focus entirely on the smell and visual aspects of the ground aromatics around us. People bustle about, filling the streets with clamour.

It's not what I intended for a first date, but I suppose it was to be expected.

He and I are both interested in the welfare of Professor Shiomi, as we're regulars at the seminar. She is one of my favourite people, and I even help both of them with their chores. I asked him to join me in going to the international festival today, but we both started out so awkward.

I don't entirely mind how it's progressed. I'm content like this, the two of us examining the spices and herbs and everything the festival has to offer.

He thanks the vendor, placing the spices in a bag. He turns to me. "This spice will work great for Jun and I's research. The plants are from a certain sector in Japan, and are hard to come by."

I smile, walking with him as he moves to the next one. Even if it's not the date I had in mind, it's nice to watch him work.

His brows furrow as he examines the quality of the paprika seeds, and he bites his lip slightly. I can feel my face heat up as I turn my attention to the seeds.

Akira makes a clicking sound with his tongue, passing up the seeds. "Are you hungry? We've been walking for a bit."

"Oh, sure," I agree, and he gives a small smile.

"There was a place selling hashimaki a couple booths back. It smelled really good," His hand rests on my shoulder, pulling me slightly from the crowd.

Soon enough, we're carrying the wrapped pancakes, decorated in the delicious sauces and green onions, through the booths, munching and talking about the recent food and spice experiments we've been working on.

"And before she could kill them, I had them moved to the sunroom," Akira gives an anecdote. "So now the plants may have a chance," his small laugh makes my heart thump louder than it already was. I laugh with him, taking a bite to disguise how flustered I am.

I'm acting like I've never had a crush before, I know, but he's just so cute to me. And brilliant. And talented. And out of my league. And yet he agreed to a date with me.

Maybe he doesn't think it's a date. Maybe he pities me. Maybe...

He's holding my hand.

I meet his gaze, watching as his eyes dart to and away from me. I move my hand to twine my fingers with his, my face absolutely burning. His hand is callous and warm, and I can see a smile poking onto his face.

Maybe this first date really was better than I could imagine.