9 - I love you, too

Beth rubbed her palms nervously against her sweatpants, she was perfectly ready to come over and train minutes ago but now that she was drawing near, she could not stop her nerves from bouncing off the walls

Beth rubbed her palms nervously against her sweatpants, she was perfectly ready to come over and train minutes ago but now that she was drawing near, she could not stop her nerves from bouncing off the walls. Her eyes landed on Charles, whose back was facing her. Beth could tell he was speaking with Erik, due to the fact that Erik had a few more inches in height than Charles did. She stopped walking completely, Erik was the one who had walked in on them the other day. Clasping her hands together, she pursed her lips and waited patiently but Erik had seen her.

"Well, it seems your student is here," Erik says while looking over Charles' head, his arms lifted up in the air and crossed his arms over his chest.

Charles turned his body to look and see Beth in the distance, a smile erupted on his face while he waved her to come closer. He faced Erik again to see a smirk was on his face. Erik knew of Charles' feelings for Beth, it was obvious that he was quite fond of his fellow mutant. When Charles was originally called about Beth's wounds he stayed calm over the phone, but once he was alone with Erik, he broke down in complete worry.

"Beth-" Charles breathed in through his nose when she paused beside him, "Which mutation would you like to work on first?"

Erik hummed with his eyebrows cocked up, he could sense how badly Charles wanted to be left alone with Beth. His smirk shifted to a grin, his arms uncrossed slowly and he patted Beth's shoulder, his hands lingering for a minute while standing behind her so Charles could see it, "Good luck with her Charles, seems like you've got quite the handful with her."

Beth, not really seeing what he meant, glanced back up at him, "I'm the handful, Erik?" Her voice was almost teasing him, "Quite the statement coming from you."

Charles bit down on his lips and twitched in irritation, especially after seeing the look that Erik was giving him, "That's enough, Erik. You're distracting Beth from her training-"

"I'm being a distraction?" Erik asked rhetorically, both hands gently holding Beth's shoulders, while she looked ahead at Charles, "I do apologize, I guess I should head inside." His hands lingered on Beth, "Good luck, Bethany."

"Thanks?"

Charles cleared his throat, his hands behind his back fidgeting with his fingers, he concentrated on Erik while he walked away, "Nothing about what you just did was amusing."

Erik glanced back at Charles, calling out to him, "I thought it was amusing, Charles!"

Beth scrunched her fingers and looked at Charles, "What are you two going on about?"

"Nothing that should concern you." Charles steadied himself, "Where were we at?"

"My mutations..." Beth dragged along, still curious about what had just transpired in front of her, "I..." She fidgetted, she knew exactly which mutation she needed the most work on. But she was afraid, still afraid of hurting someone with it.