Chap. 9

He made sure to quickly put on his mask and throw away his cotton candy in a trash can next to him. He walked up to the store and his gloved hand touched the cool metal of the door handle, his fingers wrapping around it, and his eyes lidding half closed with anticipation. His chest tightened as he squeezed his fingers on the handle and slowly opened the door. He inched his way into the room, and he bit his lip. His eyes traveled to the cashier and he gave him a sheepish smile, forgetting that it was hidden behind his mask.

"Anything I can help you with, sir?" The cashier asked. As Izuku drew closer, he saw that the name on his name tag read 'Nakaya Eito'.

"Um," Izuku started, making sure to speak a bit loud since his voice was muffled under his mask. "My parents are having an anniversary and I wanted to get both of them a little something. I was thinking maybe a ring for one of them and a bracelet for the other?"

The man nodded and led him to a section at the front, near the register. Izuku let out a small puff of air. This was going to be more difficult than he thought it would be. The worker then went under the glass table and pulled out a few lines of ring and bracelet holders.

The various gems on each piece of jewelry glinted in the bright overhead lights. The jeweler was talking but his words passed through Izuku, becoming lost in the air around them. Luckily, it was only the two of them, so that made it easier.

He could grab what he wanted and run but what's to say that jeweler didn't have a gun behind the counter? No, he had to play this smart. If he maybe pretended to be interested in buying the jewelry, which wasn't hard to do, since his gaze was entrapped upon the small pieces already, then maybe his act would be believable.

"S..." a sound.

"Sir..." an echo.

"SIR!" Izuku blinked a few times and looked up at the annoyed man.

"Sorry, what?" Izuku asked.

"I asked what your price range is," the man said, irritation heavy in his tone. Izuku had to stop himself from rolling his eyes.

"It's um... it's between 211,290.00 yen and 1,056,445.00 yen," Izuku said and watched the man's eyebrows raised sufficiently.

"Are you sure you can afford that, young man?" He asked.

"Mr. Nakaya." Izuku leaned across the counter. "I can assure you that while I may not have the money on me, I will come back soon for the items I acquire with the money."

The worker narrowed his eyes at him but sighed nonetheless. He backed away from the counter and let Izuku look at all the jewelry. Izuku straightened up and his eyes trailed along with the gems. There were so many different types, ranging anywhere from rubies to diamonds.

"Can you show me the ones over here?" Izuku asked, an idea forming in his head. Izuku pointed to the other side of the register.

"Those are watches, sir," the man said. Izuku nodded at him.

"I'm allowed to change my mind on what I want, aren't I?" Izuku said.

The man walked over to the other side of the register and pulled out the watches, all of them looking to be either silver or gold. He scanned over them, not finding any interest in them and turned his head toward the bracelets and rings again. Nakaya was staring at the watches, a look of annoyance written on his features.

Izuku sneakily brought his hand up to the rings, watching Nakaya out of the corner of his eye and slipped them silently into his sleeve. He only took two, but from the looks of it, it was the most expensive two. Then, he took a diamond bracelet and slipped that also into his sleeve. He strutted over to the watches to get a look at them and Nakaya raised his head to stare at Izuku.