Anxiety LEARNING

1. Describe a time when a difference in personal perspectives caused anxiety in your own life. What did you learn from that particular situation. If you did not learn anything from it, explain why.

A time I experienced a very altering difference in personal perspectives was because of a topic I never expected to be relevant to the time. Yes, I had heard or maybe even lightly treaded the topic, but I'd never fully delved into it. One day in the Algebra classroom tensions were growing. Two teenagers who were supposed "friends" had been arguing a bit more, being a bit more physically aggressive, and snarky towards each other. One of the "friends" had started targeting, and specifically talking about another. They had degraded, and completely insulted...it was a blobbery mess of hormones, and disagreement and trouble was brewing. But one day a very interesting topic was brought up, and for a quick moment, one of the friends put differences aside and listened to a topic the other friend had dearly cared about. They were going on, and on...until they asked ME a specific question relating. "Are you a feminist?", they boldly asked.

"No, I'm not,'' I said. They gave me a quick look- over of disdain, and grunted. I tried to explain further with, "I'm not a feminist, but I do support the cause or the idea of it. I admire it, but I am not one of them." They immediately asked me, "Why not?", but before I could answer they had started firing questions at me, and getting more hostile, and my anxiety and defense kicked in with every, "Why not?", "Do you not like them?", "Don't you support women and children?" At this moment I had burst with confusion and defense. "Wait, wait, wait what?" I dumbfoundingly replied.

 "If you don't support feminism, then you hate women and children. You're ignoring all of women's history." She threw. 

"Actually, that's not what feminism is at all...feminism is supporting, holding up, and encouraging women's rights, actions, and opinions. That's exactly what you're NOT doing.. Plus, how could I not support women, and children when I have a mother at home that birthed me, and is the reason I'm here today. Who forced me, but gladly to get an education, and be the best I am. Appreacitoan is the word.  And I definitely do have it." I rammed, and she continued the spat. 

The fire fueling I was quick in verbal defense and continued "I have siblings to take care of...I watch over them, I guide them, I make sure they're okay, and if anybody else needed me I'd do my best. Plus I support other people's opinions, and choices...it's not my right- although I can speak on it...freedom of speech, It's not my place to say anything..." She didn't like that, but I had enough and stood up. I did not feel safe, and was "inserting my dominance" in the matter...I didn't know that was such a strong thing. "If you were a femiNIst you never would've started this conversation, and if you did want to ask, that's something PRIVATE! Before you come at me again, come correct! Practice what you preach! How dare you?!?" It was bad, and I got in a lot of trouble...but I reacted in a way that blossomed out of fear, and anxiety, and anger. Short-fuse I do have, but this is definitely one of the experiences or arguments made from anxiety...But I did learn that day if you're even the bittest compassionate about something you will bring all of your force to defend it...even if you know the minimalist about it, and it pushes into the bound of ignorance. Research and knowledge are VITAL to everyone.