𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 10

"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

Matthew 11:28
——

Martha got in the car, it wasn't huge and luxurious, it was aged and small yet comfortable.

" It's s-small I know, mom won't let us change it" said Gabriel, before starting the car.

" Why wouldn't she let you guys change it?"

" This car was owned by my sister, her 18th birthday gift, she treasured this car so much and drove it everywhere it's the only memory we have of her now"

" Yes, your mom told me about it" said Martha.

" Mom still feels the guilt of not being able to save her daughter, M-Michelle let out so many sobs of help, but we were all so busy to see now that she is gone we all regret not being there for her especially mom"

" Michelle— that's a lovely name," said Martha with a fragile smile.

There was stillness for a few moments, Martha was too cautious not to break the silence. She knew Gabriel was recalling a moment with his sister.

" S-so did he w-wish you?"

" who?" questioned Martha surprised.

" The guy you were a-a-anticipating last n-night to wish you" said Gabriel with a sheepish smirk.

Martha's smile slowly disappeared when she remembered his poisonous words.

" He didn't"

Gabriel looked beside as she sat there beside physically existing but mentally soaked up in her own thoughts. Her eyes were fixed on the road yet her mind wandered over something beyond. She was seated beside him but her mind was elsewhere, roaming and looking for an answer.

" How did you guys meet?" questioned Gabriel trying to change the topic and lighten the mood.

" It's not a lovey-dovey story that you may be expecting, do you still want to hear about it?"

" Of course, I do, tell me all about it"

" My mother was crazy, she killed herself and almost killed me, My dad abandoned me for his new wife. I was put in this insane Catholic orphanage where everyone we're monsters. I was finally adopted by a family, I thought I found my happily-ever-after but I didn't, I escaped one hell and landed in another, I was constantly abused but I put up with it but it was when my step-brother tried to molest me I lost control and ran away. I was homeless for months, eating scraps from garbage, When I was 16 I started to work at a bar, that's where I met Adrian a 20-year-old young and handsome man, he  gave me all the love I needed. When I was 17 we moved in, he loved me when I couldn't love myself but now that love is drifting to another woman, the love he had for me is fading away" said Martha, tears forming in her eyes.

Gabriel didn't speak, the last thing she wished to hear about was words of pity so he stayed quiet until she wished to continue.
After a few minutes when she looked more composed and calm than earlier.

" Your a strong woman Martha" said Gabriel.

Martha chuckled because she always thought of herself as a cursed one never had she thought of herself as a strong person.

" I don't know how to respond to that"

" You don't need to, Your so strong after so many battles you still stand here fighting"

" I almost gave up today, I was standing above the blue waters and the slow wind and was above to end it all"

" Martha next time you feel that way remember if you woke up today that means God's not done with you yet"

Those words hit deep and almost shook Martha on a spiritual level, she wasn't the one up for any God talk but those words they were hard to refuse, it was so hard not to believe it.

" I know you don't believe in God and all" he continued " But look around you, do you really think all this happened by chance, do you think you wake up everyday by coincidence— no somebody is watching over you more specifically God"

Every word he spoke bewildered her, it was so arduous to deny the existence of God— a God who was looking out for her, She survived two accidents that could've almost killed her.

Was God really looking out for her...