Twenty: Forest

20

It'd been three days since Adonis left me wondering what went wrong and that was the last time we'd spoken.

We were all outside eating fruits and talking to one another but I really wasn't talking. Natalie, Summer, Aline and some other people were discussing but I wasn't listening. I was watching Adonis pull out the seeds from the watermelon he was eating, he randomly nodded and then went back to pulling the seeds out.

Adonis suddenly turned and our eyes met. My heart jumped and I bit my lip and put on a teary look.

He looked away, dropped the watermelon and walked away.

Did he want me to follow him? I waited for minutes but I couldn't stop myself from standing up and searching from him.

He was on a bench between trees breaking a twig and staring in the air.

I took a deep breath and walked towards him, I was determined to keep it short and detailed.

"Don't talk to me." He said before I could talk.

I blinked for over a minute, "What? What'd I do to you?"

He threw the twig away, stood up and walked to the back of the bench shaking his head.

"Oh I don't know, Aussie boy should understand."

What! He was jealous of me and Mace?! It was cute before but now it was just....very sad!

"Excuse me? Mace is my friend."

"At my disposal!"

I flared up, "You're just my friend too and nothing more! In fact the damn crush is gone."

That spilled out and I couldn't take it back.

Adonis' face softened and he scoffed slightly, "I'm just a friend?"

"Yes! It's not like you're my boyfriend or something!"

Why was my mouth running!

"Yeah...I'm not."

We stood in silence for over a minute. I wasn't sure whether Adonis' eyes were clouding up or not but I knew he needed privacy.

"I gotta go."

He didn't talk but I left anyway. I had made a big mistake.

"Move!" The cheering was so loud I was sure I'd be deaf by the end of the day.

We were playing team games and I had involuntarily joined but it turned out to be fun and it did a great job keeping my mind from Adonis.

"We won!" Natalie squealed dusting herself from the dust, after a good game of wheelbarrow racing.

"That was awesome!" I yelled.

"And there you were, " Natalie said while laughing, "there you were saying you didn't want to play."

"Well I was wrong. It was exhilarating."

Sean ran over to us, "Hey guys." He turned his attention to Natalie, "There's gonna be a couple dance competition tomorrow and I wanted to know if you'll dance with me."

Natalie smiled widely, "Sure."

"Okay, then we best go sign up. Come on." He grabbed her hand and pulled her away. Natalie waved at me laughing before turning her attention to Sean and letting him drag her.

I was left chuckling, happy for my friend and extremely lonely. I looked around but Aline and Aoife were nowhere to be found, Raven was talking to some emo guy. I was practically alone.
I felt eyes on me as soon as I turned I saw Adonis making his way towards me. I began to gasp and I was extremely relieved when Mace put a hand on my arm and said, "Hey." He stared at my face, "How are you?"