Twenty nine: Secrets

29

Kat took another gulp of water, "So he almost raped you?" She sounded both horrified and angry at the same time.

I nodded. I wanted to cry again, Kat handed me a leaf, I had gotten quite used to using pawpaw leaves as tissues.

"Then what did you do?"

I stammered, "I...I stabbed him."
I couldn't confess to her that I'd been having nightmares lately and I had a feeling I had killed him.

"Oh my God!" Kat put a hand over her mouth.

I bit my lip and I wished I could stop sweating, it was very hot and I was also very scared.

"It's okay Jamaica, these things happen. Like I shot someone."

I looked at her sweaty face.

"Really?"

She nodded.

"Why?" I asked but instead of responding she stood and stretched.

"It's very hot, isn't it?"

I played along, "It is."

"You want to go outside?"

I nodded.

I hadn't been outside since I woke up in Kat's house.

Kat gave me her hand and I held her hand trying to get up.

"Can you do it?"

"Hmhm.....I can."

When I was on my feet I let out a sigh of accomplishment. My legs were weak but I was able to take steps till I reached the wooden door.

Kat helped me outside and Brandy barked when he saw me. He ran towards me forgetting his squirrel.

"Stop Brandy let her sit first."

Kat helped me sit on a log outside.

Brandy circled my legs and sniffed them a few times before running back to his game with the rodents.

"How old is he?" I asked as the energetic dog chased a brown squirrel around a tree.

"About seven years, got him when I moved here."

I didn't speak for a long time, both our eyes were on the dog but I could tell Kat's mind was far away.

"Why'd you move here?" I asked her.

Kat didn't respond until I said, "is it because you shot someone?"

"One of the reasons," she said.

"What happened?"

"It's just a long sad story."

"That's funny because I write long stories so I wouldn't mind listening to yours."

Kat shrugged, "If you say so. I was a city girl, I lived with my high school sweetheart Matt. We were perfect for each other, been together for over ten years. Until I met him kind of sleeping with my younger sister a night to our wedding."

Kat choked and her eyes turned misty.

A soft slow breeze blew pushing her ponytail slightly. I was grateful for the breeze.

"Well, I didn't call off the wedding though because I'd talked about it with him and he apologized. I guessed it was a mistake so I let it slide but turned out it wasn't a mistake. I caught him with my sister again, in our house. Later, a co worker and a neighbor. Each time," Kat turned angry, "each time he'd beg me and I'll look over it but when I slept in a male friend, Cole's house by accident, he turned mad and accused me of cheating. He turned violent and hurt me."

"Why didn't you end it with him?" I asked, there was no reason to stay in such a marriage.

"I don't know, maybe fear of the unknown, I'd always been with him you know. One night we got into an argument and he began to throw glass and stuff. I reached for his gun and I.....I shot him with it, he died actually and I hid in Cole's house for a while but after the police began investigation I ran away and came here."

"I'm so sorry Kat." I whispered.

I was shocked she wasn't crying.

"The saddest part is that I fell for Cole and we couldn't be together."

I moved to hug Kat, "I'm sorry."

"Thanks."

After a long moment of silence Kat stood, "You have parents right?"

"I do."

"Why haven't you ever suggested calling them?"

"I guessed you wouldn't have a phone."

Kat walked inside without answering and came back with a little phone, "your home number?"

As I called out the number I felt a joy brewing inside me, I could see my parents anytime soon.

Kat began calling the number and after several seconds of buzzing, Kat declared, "No reception."

I groaned, so much for seeing my parents soon.

"We can try the roof."

Kat got a ladder and climbed the roof, she paced around lifting the phone above her head. This went on for over ten minutes.

Kat yelled, "Still no reception."

She climbed down the ladder, "we'll get reception tomorrow. I know a tree we'll find some reception. It's getting dark."

I was disappointed earlier but the hope of finding some reception the next day made me feel better.