Twenty seven: Another Tariq Home

27

Natalie POV

Monday morning, I sluggishly got out of the car and walked into the school building and some girls ran up to me, "Is it true Jamaica's missing?"

I wasn't willing to get into a conversation with them so I nodded and moved on.

A boy in the hallway said, "Who knows if she got a hand in her friend's kidnap."

I turned immediately to catch Dave talking to a group of girls.

I paused before saying, "I have nothing to do with it so shut up."

My voice was wavering and I was definitely going to start crying.

"You probably do, friends are not to be trusted." Dave shrugged.

I let myself cry and I said, "Jamaica trusted me."

Dave scoffed, "trust my foot."

Someone taller than me wrapped their hands around me and led me away but not before swearing at Dave.

I heard Dave laugh, "Guess what guys, Adonis is already dating his girlfriend's best friend."

The other people in the hallway chuckled and snickered causing me to let out more tears.

That's when I knew who held me and led me away, Adonis.

Dave's words stung me and as soon as we were out of sight I broke away from Adonis.

I sank to my knees and sobbed in the empty classroom we had entered. I'm a very touchy person so everything that Dave said hurt me.

"It's okay Nat." Adonis croaked.

I lifted my head and shook my hair out of my face, "Okay? How is that okay?" I yelled infuriated.

"Calm down Natalie."

"I will not," I stood pointing at him, "Not calm down."

"I get those comments too Natalie and it's from people of low IQ so it's nothing to get angry about."

The firmness in Adonis' voice kept my mouth shut but my lips quivered uncontrollably.

Adonis sighed and hugged me again, "I'm sorry for yelling."

I felt dirty as Adonis hugged me, it felt like I was collecting hugs that only Jamaica could receive.

After I got my emotions under control, I shook out of Adonis' arms and whispered a "thank you" and slid away from the empty class.

I was having lunch with the Tariq family after school, it was awfully silent except from the sound of cutlery hitting the ceramic plates.

Jamaica's dad cleared his throat and drank some water from his glass cup, "You all know that boy Phil was detained by the cops."

He paused and Deja, Divan and I nodded, Mrs. T didn't look up from her plate.

"Well, the cops said he confessed some surprising information."

He paused again and everyone's eyes were fixed on him.

"He revealed that Jamaica was kidnapped and uh....he was involved partly."

Mrs. Tariq pushed back her plate and stood making the chair screech. Mrs. Tariq dropped her napkin on the table and left the dining area. We heard her walk up the stairs, open a door and lock it.

Jamaica's dad sighed, "I'll be back kids. Clear the plates when you're done."

He left the table after that statement.

"I knew Phil was up to no good." Deja muttered.

We did the dishes after lunch, Deja washed, I rinsed and Divan dried in silence.

Jada was asleep the whole time and after I left their house I thought to myself, "this isn't the Tariq family I knew."

Oh my! 🥺🥺🥺. Proof reading this chapter made me all teary.

Drop an emoji describing how you feel after reading this.🥺