I || Leslie ||*

It was early in the morning when the sunlight shines in the face of an 18-year-old girl. Disturbed by the sunlight, the girl turned around in her bed with the thought of sleeping longer. Her cousin, Jacob Black, stood outside her bedroom door holding a bucket filled with water. He sneaked into the room, having trouble laughing at his genius prank. Jacob threw the water out of the bucket, aiming for his cousin's head. The water splashed on the girl's face, eyes wide open and a shocked gasp escaped her mouth. The girl looked around the room and saw her younger cousin laughing at her. Her eyes narrowed at him. "Jacob," she growls, jumping from her bed. Jacob looked scared, slowly backing out of her room.

The drenched girl ran toward her cousin, almost tripping over the bucket. Jacob ran, scared of his cousin's actions if she got to him. Jacob fled to the kitchen when the girl threatened to kill him. He used the table to shield himself from her attack. The girl ran into the kitchen and jumped on the table. "Leslie, get off the table." A sudden voice startled the girl. Leslie looked down and saw her uncle, Billy Black, sitting at the table. Leslie got off the table and looked at Billy. "Did you sleep well, Uncle?" Leslie's cheeks reddened, and she squeaked in embarrassment. "Certainly, my dear. Let me guess, Jacob thought it would be funny to wake you up with a bucket of cold water. Billy asked, his eyes sparkling with amusement. With a nod, Leslie growled at Jacob.

Leslie returned to her room to prepare for the day. She planned to take a walk in the woods before visiting her childhood friend at Uncle Charlie's house. Despite having no blood relation, Leslie always referred to Charlie as her uncle.

-Time skip-

Since she was a child, Leslie has felt a strong connection to nature, and it continues to amaze her. The whisper of the wind through the leaves. The melodious chirping of the birds provides a soothing effect on her. Leslie longed for children whom she could educate on the wonders of nature.

When Leslie got back to her uncle's house, she witnessed Jacob lending a hand to Billy in the truck. They planned to visit Bella at Charlie's house. For 8 years, Leslie and Bella had little interaction, aside from occasional birthday greetings. In the truck, Leslie hopped in and Jacob began driving.

The ride was completely silent except for the radio playing. When they reached the house, Jacob honked the horn twice, signaling for Charlie to come outside. As soon as Charlie emerged, Leslie swiftly left the truck and hurried towards him, despite their recent encounter last week. Charlie and Leslie always had a close relationship, so close that strangers often mistook them for father and daughter.

Jacob was aiding Billy in his wheelchair when Bella appeared from the house. Leaning against the truck, Charlie gestured toward the man and says, "Bella, do you recall Billy Black?"

"Sure thing," Bella remarks, extending a handshake to Billy, "You're looking good." "I'm still busting a move," Billy chuckles, flashing a smile her way. "Good to have you here. Charlie's been talking non-stop ever since he spilled the beans about your visit," Billy says, smirking and side-eyeing Charlie. Jacob, Bella, Leslie, and Billy chuckled about it. "Keep exaggerating and I'll push you down the hill," Charlie says. "Right after I ram you in the ankles," Billy replies. Billy takes several rolls at Charlie, who dodges.

Leslie shakes her head at those two men. Jacob sheepishly goes up to Bella. "I'm Jacob. We used to make mud pies when we were little." Jacob says to Bella. "Yeah... I think I remember..." Bella responds. Leslie edges closer, saying, "I'm Leslie, the one who used to shove those mud pies right into Jake's face." Leslie chuckles. Jacob looks away in embarrassment.

"Are they always like this?" Bella inquires, gesturing toward the two dads. "Yep," Leslie confirms. "It's only getting worse with old age," Jacob adds. Charlie and Billy finish their play fighting and approach the three kids. Charlie then pats the hood of the truck, turning to Bella. "So, what's your take on your homecoming gift?" he asks. "Wait, the truck is for me?" Bella asks in astonishment.

"Just bought it off Billy, here," Charlie informs Bella. "I rebuilt the engine and—" Jacob starts, but Leslie interjects, "Hey, I helped, give me some credit too." Jacob is about to argue, but Bella cuts in, "It's perfect!" She rushes to the truck, and Jacob eagerly joins her. "Okay, so you gotta double pump the clutch when you shift, but—" Jacob begins explaining as Bella climbs into the truck. He then hands her the keys.

Bella proposes the idea of giving both of them a ride to school. "We attend school on the reservation," Leslie replies. "That's a shame. It would've been nice to know at least one person," Bella expresses, a hint of disappointment in her tone.

--

The first chapter is finally done being rewritten. I haven't done anything with my writing in a while, but now I'm starting. It does not mean I'm fully back.