II || Cold Ones ||*

After a few days, Jacob expressed his desire to go to La Push beach and invited Leslie to join, promising it would be a fun time. Giving Jacob an annoyed glare from behind, Leslie opted to walk alongside Sam, one of her closest friends, and Leah's boyfriend.

"He claimed it would be enjoyable, that I'd have a good time," Leslie complains to Sam, who responded by shaking his head and letting out a small laugh. "Bella!" Jacob's voice rang out, drawing Leslie's attention. She turned to see Bella in a van near the beach. Bella looked up and spotted three Quileute boys and a Quileute girl approaching. She smiled warmly at Leslie and Jacob.

"Hey, this is Jacob and Leslie. Are you guys following me?" Bella questions. "You're on our rez, remember? Planning to catch some waves?" Jacob inquires. "Definitely not," Bella replies, not wanting to come off colder than she already was. "Keep her company. Her date ditched her," a girl with brown hair teases Bella. "What date?" a boy with short black hair asks. "She invited Edward," the same girl reveals. "To be polite," Bella adds, feeling embarrassed.

"I think it's nice she invited him. No one ever does," the other girl with black hair remarked. "Because Cullen's a freak," the boy with blonde hair added. "You got that right," Sam chimed in. "You know them?" Bella questions Sam. "The Cullens don't come here," Sam responded sharply. Leslie shot Sam a look and shook her head, which Bella noticed. After a beat, Bella casually pulled Jacob and Leslie aside.

"Wanna go check out some tide pools?" Bella proposes with an awkwardly flirtatious smile aimed at Jacob. He grins, clearly infatuated, while Leslie playfully pretends to gag, earning two glares in return. Leslie raises her hands apologetically. "I think I'm heading back to Sam," she says, walking backward towards the van. "Good luck."

--

Bella and Jacob stroll near the water, eyes on the sea for whales, surrounded by surfers riding the waves. Attempting flirtation, Bella nudges Jacob.

"So, what did your friend mean about 'the Cullens not coming here'?" Bella asks, curious. "Oops, caught that, huh?" Jacob replies, moving closer and lowering his voice. "I'm not supposed to say anything." Bella flashes an alluring smile. "I can keep a secret..."

Jacob chuckles. "It's just an old scary story. Did you know the Quileutes are supposedly descended from wolves?" Bella teases, mentioning fur, fangs, and doggy breath."So, the legend about the Cullens is..." Bella prompts Jacob to continue. "Well, they're supposedly descended from this 'enemy clan,' but they claim to be different, so we made a treaty with them." Bella frowns, "Didn't they just move here?" Jacob suggests, "Or just moved back." Bella nods, "Right. So what was this treaty?" Jacob explains, "If they promised to stay off Quileute lands, we wouldn't expose what they really were to the pale-faces." Bella shivers, and suddenly, a girl screams behind them.

Bella jumps at the scream, as Angela runs past, chased by Eric with a dead crustacean. Jacob smirks and heads back to the group. "Wait... What were they really?" Bella catches up, but Jacob laughs it off, leaving her with more unanswered questions.

--