Infected

One by one the infected were going down. Less infected were seen as most of them began retreating underground. "Only a few more, hang in there." Torcher said, giving a thumbs-up at Ryan.

"I'm glad I found you, I probably would've already become one of them if it weren't for you. Could you imagine that? I'd rather die than become a zombie." Ryan nervously chuckled, slicing more infected soldiers.

A few hours pass and both Torcher and Ryan are completely out of breath. The hot smoke of the burning outpost had greatly dehydrated them both. "We did it." Torcher weakly said in between breaths.

"I'm so glad we-"

Ryan suddenly let out a few chesty coughs. He thought the coughing was from the smoke, but then he realized, his saliva was a distinctive neon green color.

Torcher also noticed this and let out an inaudible gasp.

Ryan slowly turned to look at Torcher with a look of fear and disbelief in his eyes. On closer examination, Ryan had a small gash on his arm from an infected.

"H-hey wait, maybe that scratch isn't from an infected! Maybe its-"

Torcher was cut off by Ryan, "Torcher. It's too late for me. In a few minutes I'm gonna become one of th-"

Torcher grabbed Ryan and gave him a pained stare.

"YOU'RE NOT LEAVING ME! I JUST FOUND YOU AGAIN! GOD DAMMIT RYAN WHAT-"

Ryan gave Torcher a hug with tears forming in his eyes.

"You have to leave. I wish we could've been together longer."

Torcher looked around to see the infected soldiers emerging back up from the ground hissing and groaning.

Torcher had made a horrible discovery, there was no way for the infected to die.

"Live for me."

Ryan pushed Torcher away and gave him his knife. "Hurry! Now!"

Torcher shed a tear and started running. "I'll find a cure, I won't let you down!"

"That's a nice thought." Ryan whispered as he slowly felt the infection take over his body.