Healing

It was late at night and the stars shone brightly in the sky. Torcher's first day of being infected was quite the experience. It would take awhile to process everything that happened.

"Why'd you do that?"

Torcher looked over at Ryan to see his eyes swelling up with tears. Torcher didn't know what to say, what were the right words?

"I had to watch myself attack you. Do you understand how that feels? You promised you'd stay alive for me and not a moment later you come running back only to get infected."

Torcher stayed silent. He knew he couldn't use his sorrow as an excuse, it wasn't right.

Think idiot, think! You don't want Ryan thinking you're an asshole

"I... I couldn't leave you. I'm not strong, I'm not what you wanted me to be. I'm sorry."

Torcher didn't look over at Ryan, he kept his head hung low; too ashamed to even face him. Ryan had every right to be pissed, his death ended in vain.

"You shouldn't care about someone like me."

Ryan began wiping the tears from his eyes. There was no point in doing so because the tears kept coming.

"Don't be dense. You matter to me, you're the only sense of god damn sanity I have left. Shit, I started doing business with a walking, talking potato! How crazy is that?!"

Ryan gave a small chuckle and smiled at Torcher.

"Maybe things won't be so bad, maybe we can still live a normal life like before. I mean, everyone here is an asshole but I guess I can't help that."

Torcher and Ryan both exchanged laughs.

Maybe life as an infected wouldn't be so bad after all.