Defeat

Fwoosh

The doors to Mr.P's base opened and there stood a defeated, dehydrated Torcher.

"How'd it go? Thank god you're back! Are you hurt? Do you need-"

Torcher took off his mask revealing tired, red eyes.

"Oh no, what happened?" Mr. P said, running up to Torcher.

"Nothing, just some smoke getting in my eyes. I finished the job."

Mr. P knew that Torcher was obviously lying, from the look of it, Torcher had been... crying? Mr. P knew there was no point in asking Torcher about the events of the mission, he needed rest.

"There's water in the kitchen. I'll be in my lab, tell me if you need anything."

Torcher tried going to sleep, but the events of last night kept haunting him. Torcher's eyes were wide and his body was tense.

I could've prevented that. This is my fault.

Torcher got up from bed and sneaked outside the base. He took out a cigarette and looked at the stars.

Great going dumbass, you killed your only friend.

After a few moments of silence, an idea hit Torcher.

"Ryan isn't completely gone! He- he's still here! At the outpost!"

Torcher put on his suit and grabbed his gun. The noise woke Mr. P up and he went to check out what was happening.

"Torcher? What are you doing? It's 2 am!"

Torcher didn't look back- he ran outside the base before Mr. P could say anything else.

Ryan Ryan Ryan Ryan

Those were the only thoughts running through Torcher's mind.

He's not gone, I don't have to leave him!

Torcher made his way to the outpost and quickly began looking for Ryan. The infected howled and hissed at his presence. He didn't care about the other soldiers, he needed to find Ryan, and quickly. Torcher ran inside the building where he first found Ryan and looked around. He threw shelves to the ground and kicked boxes. Nothing, not a single presence of Ryan.

God dammit Ryan where are-

Suddenly, Torcher heard a faint groaning sound. He turned around to see Ryan, now with glowing yellow eyes and a broken piece of metal in his hand.

"Ryan!"

Torcher put down his gun and ran up to Ryan giving him a firm hug.

"I've missed you so much, you don't have to leav-"

Ryan suddenly stabbed Torcher in his shoulder and kicked him off.

Torcher felt a hot pain in his shoulder and realized what had just happened.

How could he be so careless? He let loss and despair take over him. More importantly he had just broke his promise to Ryan about staying alive.

Torcher's vision grew blurry and his arm started twitching uncontrollably.

Well shit.

In a few minutes Torcher would become an infected, just like Ryan.