New Life

Torcher woke up to the bright morning sun. He looked around to see he was laying on the cement of the outpost. He got up and scratched his head.

What happened?

Suddenly the pain from Torcher's wound gave him a sense of reality. Right, he got attacked. Torcher didn't feel infected, he felt perfectly fine! He looked in a piece of broken glass; he looked normal too! Was the infection a dream? Was he hallucinating?

"Torcher?"

Torcher looked around to see Ryan once again. He wasn't acting infected, but his eyes were still glowing yellow.

"Ok, what the hell is going on?!" Torcher asked, grabbing Ryan by the neck.

"CALM DOWN! You got attacked, you're infected now.." Ryan replied.

"Ok wise guy, then how come I can speak perfect english? How come you can?! I thought the infected couldn't fucking talk!" Torcher yelled, tightening his grasp.

"LISTEN I DON'T KNOW, TORCHER! After I got infected I was able to speak to the other 'infected soldiers' fine! It's weird... I don't understand it either."

Suddenly, the ground started shaking around the two and another soldier emerged from the ground.

"HEY! PUT RYAN DOWN YOU PSYCHO!"

Torcher turned around to see a fellow soldier with a blade in his hand.

"What the hell?! I thought I killed you last night with my flamethrower! HOW COME YOU CAN TALK NOW?!" Torcher asked.

"YEAH YOU DID FUCKING HURT ME WITH YOUR DAMN FLAMETHROWER! Listen dude, when you become infected you can understand other infected people. To survivors, we sound like RaRARAGHH and BleHEgHEGhhhh, but to each other we sound normal."

Torcher let down Ryan and slowly processed what the other infected soldier just said.

"Hold on, so you're saying the infected are capable of thinking? We just look and sound weird to other people?" Torcher asked, raising a brow.

"Technically yes, however, when you're infected you feel the need to kill anyone else who isn't infected. You can't really control that. That explains why your boyfriend stabbed you last night."

"My what?!" Torcher slightly blushed.

"Yeah I saw you last night. You were all like 'OhHHh RyanNNN RyANannAN WHEre ARe YouUUUUUUU Oh RyAANAnnaNNANNnNNNN"

Torcher let out an embarrassed sigh and put his palm on his head.

"Are you like, obsessed with Ryan or something? Because I was totally planning on killing you, dude."

"Lay off, Brett. Me and Torcher have been friends for a long time." Ryan finally spoke up.

"Whatever, you two lovebirds need to get a room."

Brett threw a rock at Torcher and quickly jumped back underground.

"Wow. What an asshole." Torcher scorned.

"C'mon' Torcher. There's food inside the cafeteria, I'm sure you're hungry."

Ryan led Torcher to the cafeteria acting as if life were perfectly normal, like the infection never happened.