Chapter 5

I woke up the next morning to my usual alarm. I was surprised I even set it, as it was one of those nights where I barely remembered sleeping. I got up, got showered, dressed, and did my makeup like normal. I felt the normal hatred I had for mornings creep up (don't start me...even in the summer I hate mornings), and the normal dread for the upcoming school day. One down...

"Morning, Doshi," my brother said as I came downstairs.
"Morning kid," I said, pouring myself a cup of coffee.
"You taking me to school or do I need to get the bus?"
"I can take you," I said, "but I pick the music."
"Fine," he groaned. I smiled a bit.
"You can pick Friday, ok?"
"Deal," he said.

We finished up our breakfast and piled into the car. We made small talk until we got to school. As soon as the car was parked, Sean went for his friends, I went for mine.
I only found Alice that morning. She was sitting on the stairs leading up to the auditorium lobby.

"Morning Sunshine," I said. She looked up and smiled.
"Morning you," she said.
"Where are the other girls?"
"Bathroom. Something about experimenting with new makeup."
"Fair enough," I said. Alice smiled a bit.
"So..." she said.
"So..." I answered.

There was still a big huge elephant in the room with us. I wasn't quite sure how to handle anything. Not like my parents entertained the idea they might have a bisexual daughter, and how she should navigate dating from that angle. Fuck it...

"The other day..."
"Yeah about that..."
"I, um...that was..."
"It was...I don't know..."
"I liked it," I blurted out.
"Y-you did?" Alice asked. I nodded.
"I did," I answered. "Unexpected, yes, but...not unwelcomed."

Alice smiled and blushed a bit

"I liked it too," she replied. I smiled back.
"I um...I don't know what's next...I mean..."
"I know, Liam the other day..."
"Yeah that's its own loop-de-loop," I said.
"Trust me, I know," she said.
"You won't kill me if I say I want to play this by ear and see what happens next, will you?"
"Right now? No. I think that's probably best. Just one day at a time. Because we have the band to think of too."
"This is true. Not too sure the Gwen Stefani and Tony Kanal formula works for everyone."
"They definitely are a one in a million."
"They are," I said, "I...I'm glad we were able to talk that out."
"I am too," Alice said.

The bell rang as we finished out conversation. We got up to head to class.

"See you at lunch?" she said.
"Just like yesterday," I said.
"Looking forward to it."
"See you then."
"See you then!" She said, waving as we walked off to separate sides of the building.

And that was the tone for the rest of the week. Either I was with Liam or the girls after school, avoided bickering with mom, asked dad for advice, and played Twisted Metal with my brother. I guess most days, I was a pretty average teenager. But the weekends? That's when it changed.

Friday afternoon, the final bell rang and everyone bolted for the doors. By 4, the girls were at my house for band practice.

The band officially formed Sophomore year. It was innocent at first. We just jammed together and had fun. Then, last year, we started learning other songs, Charlotte and I started to collaborate, and we were getting to a point where we could perform. Or, at least, we played songs for my brother and dad. We decided over the summer to start writing and performing our own music. We hadn't set a timeline for ourselves, but we wanted to be performing gigs this school year. We all even planned to try and go to college in the same city at least (most likely, Chicago) to keep up with the band. It didn't even have to be the same school, or same major, just so we could stay together. We really wanted to make this happen. We were damn determined to make it happen. No boring 9-5 for us.

We were all set up in my parent's basement after school, ready to go and much to my brother's dismay (no Playstation). I was excited. We took the week off to readjust to school. I hadn't even practiced much this week. Between the drama, homework, and just life, I let it go by the wayside. But, I think, for a week, I'm gonna be ok. I mean, I played in band class, so that counts, right? I'd like to think so.

I counted us off into our first song. It was a bit rough, but I expected it to be. We were getting into the groove of things again.

It took us probably 2 more songs before we started meshing again. We finally started loosening up, and finding our flow. It was a nice feeling. I liked finding my groove again. The sticks always felt good in my hand; the worn-down wood fit just so. The nylon tip hit the snare making a pleasing "pop" sound, followed by the sizzle of the hi-hat, the thud of the toms, and the splash of any of my assorted cymbals. The flow of rhythm floated from my finger tips to the sticks, to my instrument. It was a liberating feeling. It was like all of the world's bullshit was melting away.

We kept going until 7, which was the latest time my parents and I agreed on for practice time. My wrists and forearms were feeling it, but I was sure over the course of the next week, I'd get back into shape. We all packed up, and the girls headed home for the night. I went up to my room to try and tackle homework. I had to work all weekend (oh yeah...there's that party tonight). I didn't want my homework hanging over my head. Sometimes, I can be responsible.

I'll tell you more about work later. I only work 2 days a week, but it was enough for now. It gave me a bit of freedom from my parents.

I finally finished my homework, somewhat late that night. When I was sure everyone was in their rooms, I picked up the phone in my room, and called Alice.

"Hello?" She said, answering quietly.
"Hey, it's me," I said.
"Doshi! You're gonna get me in trouble!"
"Just say it was a wrong number," I answered, "Still up for that party tonight?"
"Hell yeah!" she said.
"Call the girls," I said, "meet in my front yard. I'll drive."
"Awesome! See you soon!"
"See you soon!" I said, and we hung up the phone.