Chapter Eight

-----Naruto-----

Sasuke's house was exactly how you'd expect it to look, black and gray as far as the eye could see; even the windows were tinted gray. 'I guess Sasuke had to get his emo look from somewhere,' I laughed at the thought, earning me a strange look from Sasuke as we entered the house.

"Wow! I wish my house was this big!" I exclaimed as my eyes fell upon the large black and grey living room that only seemed barely brightened by the gray paned chandelier in the center of the room.
"Sasuke? Is that you?" a distracted voice echoed through the living room from somewhere in the kitchen.

"Yeah, Itachi, I'm home," Sasuke called back. We heard some clanging in the kitchen, followed by a loud bang and an angered cry and another thud not long after. Rushing in, I was dumbfounded by the mess I saw before me. A man who looked to be an older version of Sasuke with black long sleeves and dark jeans was covered in oil and metal pans on the floor, looking very pissed off.

The man named Itachi narrowed his eyes at Sasuke and demanded, " well? Are you gonna help me or not?". Sasuke didn't seem very interested in helping out the man on the floor but seemed amused by the situation. Reaching forward, I grabbed the man's hand and pulled him up. As he stood ready to thank me, he cocked his head in confusion.

"Thanks, uhh.... Sasuke, who's your friend here?". Sasuke shook his head. "Itachi, This is Naruto." Itachi's eyes widened, "Really? Your little friend from all those years ago? I thought he'd disappeared?". Sasuke's eyes widened as he exclaimed, "you remember him?". Itachi scoffed, "well, I am 5 years older than you dude, I'd think I'd remember the boy you used to be so obsessed with as a kid". A light blush lit my cheeks, and I tried to change the subject. "So, did I used to live around here?" I questioned.

This seemed to get Sasuke's attention as well. Itachi and Sasuke shared a look that was mixed with sadness and something I couldn't quite identify before he replied."No, you were an orphan up until the accident. I'm not sure where you lived previously".

I didn't like the worry that was evident on their faces, so I did my best to hide my sorrow with a smile. "well, it was very nice to see you again, even if I don't really remember you," I managed to say.

Sasuke interjected, "and on that note, why don't we let my brother clean himself up while I show you where we will be sleeping" and grabbed my hand and dragged me off before I could say a word.

"um, question, why was your brother covered in oil?" I questioned as Sasuke pulled me along. Sasuke rolled his eyes and scoffed, "he's been obsessed with the buggy our parents left him, so it's a rare moment you DON'T see him covered in oil."  Suddenly we came to a complete stop at the end of a long hallway. "Is this your room?". Sasuke nodded before pushing the door open and walking in.

Sasuke's room was exactly the way the rest of the house looked, but for some reason, it seemed to feel more empty than any other part of the house. It was a big room with a black and grey bed in the corner and a closet on the opposite end. Everything was spotless in a way that seemed wrong; it was too empty. Shaking the feeling off, I watched as Sasuke pulled out an extra blanket and pillow. I reached for them before Sasuke pulled them back and out of my reach.

"Uh Uh, no way am I making you sleep on the floor, you're taking my bed," Sasuke said firmly. I was ready to protest, but looking at his stern face, I knew there wasn't any room for discussion and nodded in compliance before slipping exhaustedly into the bed. Not surprisingly, I was asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.

------Sasuke------

Not long after, I heard Naruto snoring lightly. Taking this chance, I quietly slipped out the door and headed back down the hall, where I could hear my brother cursing the stains on his hands. "You know, most people think you'd been raised in a barn if they heard you talking like that," I said with a smirk on my face. Itachi rolled his eyes and flipped me off.  I chuckled and tossed Itachi a towel. Itachi was quiet for a moment before he looked back at Sasuke, looking quite serious.

" I think we have bigger problems than that, Sasuke, like what they will say if they hear Naruto is back." I sighed in frustration before answering, "All we can do is make sure they don't find out; you know what happened last time we tried to keep him from them." I grimaced at the memory; nothing like that ever needed to happen again.

Itachi looked indignant. "But Sasuke, we should, at the very least, tell him what really happened." I glared at my brother. "No, Itachi, I don't want to put him through that; I refuse to!".

"He can never know the truth..."

Hey Guys! I am so sorry I haven't updated till now; I'm not the best at coming up with material and gave up for a while, but your kind words inspired me to try writing again. If I drop off on writing again, don't hesitate to call me on it. And your ideas on how you might want this story to develop are more than appreciated. Thank you so much for your support!