CHAPTER II.II: The Doubts

The guard showed him the way to where the street rat locked up.

I saw her sleeping and groaning to the ground. I was certain I gave them orders to capture her but they injured her as well.
It was my fault to give orders in the first place and now I feel displeased and guilty of what I have done.

"Are you awake?" - Prince Byeol gently asked.

"Leave me alone!" - the thief said.

"I'll let you go if gave back the mirror you stole yesterday night outside the Damhwa palace..." - The Prince Byeol said.

"What are you talking about?! Mirror? I didn't steal something like that! You Moron! Cut the crap already! And let me go!!" - the thief replied.

Prince Byeol softly sighed.

"Denying and Lying won't save you... Young lady... No one is gonna harm you if you tell the truth.
In fact, the half reason why you were here is that the old peasant sold you from the soldiers. That old man you just gave a bread betrayed you.
So could you tell me the reason for your stubbornness..." - Prince Byeol tempered replied.

The young lady scoffs.

"What can an upper-class like you know what we suffered?
The soldier gave him a choice to spare his life and he only do what's best to survive! We, peasants, always don't have a right to make choices!
We survived this far because we swallowed our dignity and pride to live!
What can someone like you who lives his life under the thick roof, wearing a silk robe and who can only know how to drink liquor and snuggle a Gisaeng overnight!
You have no right to lecture me!" - the thief pantingly replied.

Despite having a broken throat she still explain herself and forcedly spoke with a rough-dried voice.

She chose to speak out loud.

Prince Byeol offered her a bowl of water and a piece of bread.

"I apologize, for what I've said. And I apologize for what those guards did to you. Please rest for now." - Prince Byeol said as he kneeled.

The young lady thief suspiciously frowns toward the unknown upper-class man (Prince Byeol).

"Tomorrow... The Royal guards will execute you. You're the famous street rat after all... But please stay awake at dawn.
I trust your words about the mirror... So I'll drag you out here." - Prince Byeol embarrassedly said.

I am a fool.
To let the criminal escape with my own hands. And to let myself be moved by her words.
I am a fool. The future king is a fool. But being a fool king is much better than a coward king who turned his back on his people.
I want to save these people before the moment I received the throne up until my Reign ends.
I want to be the good and wise King they want me to be.

Prince Byeol stood upon his knees.

This is the only beginning.
Tomorrow will be my first step to open my eyes from the darkness and lead these people on the right path.

"What is your name young lady?" - Prince Byeol gently asked.

"Mi...so...Jung Miso..." - Miso flusteredly replied.

End of Chapter II