Hangovers

We returned to the base without incident

We returned to the base without incident. We parted ways with the men, each group heading for their assigned barracks. The girls and I walked into our barracks and unpacked our bags from our shopping trip. I slumped onto my cot exhausted as I never spent this much time shopping before.

Sarah pulled her new red dress out of the bag, hanging it on a hanger. As she placed it against the wall to air out the wrinkles, she asked, "What are we going to do tomorrow?"

"Tomorrow?" Anne repeated with a playful and coy tone of voice, "What about tonight?"

Charlotte smiled, nodding in agreement as she placed her hands on her hips. "That's right! You just bought that nice new dress...shouldn't you be trying it out?" Sarah blushed as we shared a laugh at her shyness. I shook my head in amusement as I stretched my lower back.

"Why don't we see about getting some dates for tonight?" Darla suggested, glancing about the room, "We could have a nice little date night filled with dancing and drinks!" The girls got excited over the idea, and without warning or even dates, the girls started to get prepared for the evening, curling their hair and applying fresh makeup.

Darla approached my cot, standing before me with her hands on her hips. She asked, "What about you? Are you going to join us?"

I lifted my eyes and with a raised eyebrow, I held her stare. "And do what, hold the table down?"

"Enjoy yourself for starters," Darla stated, cocking her head at my facetious remark.

I chuckled. "I don't know, Darla...Who would I go with?" I hoped she wouldn't suggest Webster. We hadn't talked since the night he kissed me and there was already lingering tension between us - and not in a good way.

She smiled brightly as she replied with admirable confidence, "Me." I chuckled as she reached down to grab my hand, pulling me to my feet. She dragged me towards the girls to help get me ready for our evening out.

That night, we went out to a local spot in town with some of the men from Easy. Darla remained by my side as my 'date' as promised. Darla and I sat at our table, sharing a drink when I glanced up to see Lieutenant Nixon and Lieutenant Winters walk in.

I swallowed my water before whispering into Darla's ear, "You know what would make this night even better for you?" Her eyes darted over to me as she drank from her glass of beer. I motioned toward the door with my chin. "A dance with the guy you've been pining for."

She glanced over to the door to see Nixon and Winters walk further into the building. She gulped her beer hard, staring back at me with wide eyes. She stated, "I came here with you! I intend to stick to that promise!"

I rolled my eyes as I rebutted, "I think your date for the evening will understand if you want to have a dance or two with him." A small chuckle escaped my lips as I brought my glass of water up to sip again.