Painful Truths

That night, I couldn't sleep

That night, I couldn't sleep. I couldn't focus on anything except what might be happening with Sarah's unit. No one, including Colonel Sink and the others from Battalion, knew what was going on. They hadn't heard from that unit since earlier that afternoon.

I chewed on my lip as I thought about all of the horrible scenarios that would stem from this. As hints of a coppery tang hit my tongue,  it dawned on me that I bit my lip a little too hard, causing it to bleed. Touching the open sore on my lip caused me to hiss in pain. I sighed heavily, willing myself to calm down, trying hard to convince myself there was nothing to be upset over - Sarah was okay - but it was the waiting for the morning that was damaging my calm.

I scanned the men around me who were all either asleep or on watch, including Webster who was asleep next to me. I don't think he made the connection about this unit Battalion were talking about being Sarah's because if he did, he wouldn't be asleep - he'd be just as worried.

Feeling overwhelmingly antsy from anxiety, I stood to walk about the camp. I had to get my mind off of this. I figured it would be best to track down Winters to ask him for advice - to see if he heard any new information on Sarah's unit.

As I neared where Winters was, I saw him talking to Sink, alongside Nixon and a couple of other officers from Battalion as they loomed over a map on the Jeep's hood. It didn't take me long to realize they were discussing our options moving forward. I watched for a moment from my distant spot. Seeing how the worried expressions on their faces, the intense concentrations they held as they had their meeting, I knew it wasn't the right time to approach Winters. I sighed, feeling my shoulders slump forward in defeat just before I left.

"Nurse Banks?" a familiar voice spoke softly behind me. I swallowed the increasing lump that formed in my throat, slowly turning my gaze over my left shoulder just in time to see Speirs inching his way closer until he stopped beside me. "What are you doing?" he asked, voice low and calm. 

I studied him for a moment before realizing he wasn't going to lecture me about walking around the camp. He seemed genuinely concerned about me. Quietly, I admitted, "I wanted to talk to Lieutenant Winters but he's busy at the moment."

His eyes flitted over to Winters and the rest of the men before returning to me. "About what?"

I hesitated to say the words out loud but for some reason, I felt like he already knew. I managed to whisper, "I wanted some advice..." His eyes never left mine as he waited patiently for me to continue. Shifting in my spot, feeling awkward under his intense stare, I added, "I...I was hoping he could tell me a-about..." my voice cracked as I struggled to say the words, brows drawing together as the tears threatened to emerge. I didn't want to say the words for fear it would make it true.

He finished my sentence for me. "Nurse Morgan's unit."

I nodded glumly. "Yes, sir." I lifted my averted gaze back to him. His face softened for a moment but just as quickly as it happened, it disappeared.