Help From Friends

When we walked into the empty med station, I pointed to a vacant exam table as I walked past it to gather some supplies

When we walked into the empty med station, I pointed to a vacant exam table as I walked past it to gather some supplies. I said, "Hop up." Randleman sat on the table and waited for me. I glanced over at him as I pulled a few things from the supply cabinet. I ordered, "Take your shirt off, please."

He followed my order and sat there, clutching his shirt. I carried the items I gathered and padded my way over to him. I set them down on the tray next to the table he sat on. I looked at his left shoulder and saw a huge purplish bruise, now visible with his shirt off. "What happened to you?" I exclaimed, my brows drawing together as I examined it carefully.

Randleman admitted, "I got into a fight."

"A fight? With who?" I questioned, gently starting to touch his bruised shoulder. He blinked but didn't say anything. My eyes flitted over to his and noticed he was avoiding direct eye contact with me. "Bull?" 

He glanced at me. "It was a legitimate fight."

I bit my lip, twisting them in thought. I realized he wouldn't tell me outright, so I asked, "Did you win?"

Bull smiled wide, triumphantly proclaiming, "Yes, ma'am!"

I shook my head, trying to hide my smile. When I touched his bruise again, he cringed. I asked again, "Who did you end up fighting?"

He grew serious again. I held his gaze as he said, "A man from another unit."

I furrowed my brows at him. "Why are you being vague with my questions?" I asked, turning back to the tray beside the exam table. "Who are you protecting?"

His voice was barely a whisper. "You."

My mouth fell open and my head snapped over to meet his gaze. "Me?"

"We know all about Sergeant Jefferson from Dog Company."

"What?" I asked shocked, my voice cracking.

"Let's just say he won't be bothering you anymore."

I blinked back the tears, biting my lip to keep from crying. "What happened?" I asked quietly, afraid the walls were listening, "What will Lieutenant Winters or Lieutenant Speirs say when they find out about this?"

Randleman placed his large hands on my shoulders comfortingly. With a warm smile, he questioned, "Who do you think set it up?"

I blinked away the shock as his smile widened. He released his hold on me, allowing his hands to grip the side of the table as he watched my reaction. I didn't understand and the confusion was apparent on my face. I asked, "How-"

He chuckled. "Let's just say word gets around when our nurses are unhappy," he told me. "Then we take matters into our own hands."

"What happened to him?"