five | ❝you are on field duty.❞

❝Honey, I rose up from the dead, I do it all the time

Honey, I rose up from the dead, I do it all the time.

☀︎︎

[A/N: This chapter is embarrassingly long; I am sorry!]

ANNA STARED AT ZACH. "Florian? Why does the name sound so familiar?" Anna racked her brain, trying to figure out where she had heard the name before. She started biting on her nails absentmindedly, which were already reduced to stumps.

Zach reached out to pull her hand away, almost subconsciously, as if it were more a force of habit than a calculated move. "We know him from our history training. Florian Emanuel Strebor. The dude who topped the agency's training two years ago, only to go rogue later in the same year."

"Ah, the guy no one knows about? Why he left, where he is, what he does?" Anna inquired, realisation dawning on her face. "But he's being tracked, right?"

"Emphasis on being. The guy's a ghost. No name, no family, no residence. He literally floats about," said Zach as he turned a sudden bend in the road, flinging Anna to the side of the car. A shiver and a shock as chilling as electricity sped up Anna's arm.

"Ouch, you ass. Drive slower," said Anna. She rested her head on the back of the front seat while caressing her injured hand. "So what did Damien have to say? Just that Florian's back?"

Zach let out a sigh, a long, drawn-out one, clearly indicating how tensed he was. "No. We'll be having a group meeting. All the agents have been called."

Anna's brows crinkled together in confusion. "That's a case for the senior agents. Why call a meeting with the graduates?"

"I have absolutely no idea," said Zach as he stepped on the gas. Anna could feel the tension radiating off of her best friend. The muscles on his shoulders were tight and his neck was as straight as a pole.

The rest of the ride, they drove together in silence, passing only the occasional comment about the weather or a silly joke about how a tree was shaped like Damien's head. They drove down the narrow roads from Manhattan leading to the headquarters in Halington.

Halington was a small isolated town on the outskirts of Manhattan. Most people didn't even know about its existence except for the government agencies. It was the perfect nondescript place for training. The headquarters lay beyond dense foliage with electric fences surrounding the perimeter like the rib cage protecting the heart.

The Bail Enforcement HQ had huge buildings with spirals for the tops. The walls were made of an impenetrable mixture of granite, stone, and cement, making it foreboding and just a little bit scary. The compound had a main building, Echo for administration and meetings and four towers, surrounding Echo.

Alpha was a residence for agents who were so often sent abroad that they had no home, Bravo for archives, research, and technical aspects, and Charlie and Delta solely dedicated to training.