eighteen | ❝come on, noah, punch me.❞

❝We drink the poison our minds pour for us and wonder why we feel so sick

We drink the poison our minds pour for us and wonder why we feel so sick.

☀︎︎

A/N: if i publish the trailer, will you watch it?

A WEEK HAD PASSED since Anna had stared unblinkingly at Harry, a storm of emotions passing on her face. Harry had known better than to ask her and had since been trying to avoid the awkward conversation that was long overdue. Training sessions, breakfasts of oatmeal donuts and milk, and field training were all skipped by him.

Although he was keeping his distance, Harry had no idea why. His best guess was that vulnerability weakened him. His past with his father was proof enough and every time he thought someone could trust him, he knew he had to run a mile away. He had had too many bad experiences after all.

If he couldn't trust his own family, how could he let someone else trust him? He had only seen how promises were broken and how truths were spun into lies. He had only learnt deceit. He couldn't do that to anyone. Especially not to her.

He looked at her now. Her hair, pulled back in a tight ponytail, flew as she tackled Mia. Her movements, agile and graceful, captivated him. She prowled like a panther, matching Mia's every move with a stroke or defense of her own. She was laughing, right after Mia held her nose, stumbling back. She looked like home.

A sharp stinging pain paralyzed his face and Harry staggered back. He rubbed his cheek with his arm and it came back blood stained. He focused his eyes on a concerned Noah standing in front of him.

"Hey man, you good? This is the fourth time I've punched you and you haven't struck back. Even once." Noah looked mystified at Harry, never having encountered such a situation before.

Mark, on hearing the commotion, cast away the silencer he was making and stood up. Jeremy protested about having to make the stupid bomb all alone while everyone else had fun. He pushed his glasses up his scrunched nose and got back to working on the foldable table.

Bribing Jeremy with the promise of an extra slice of pizza later, Mark sauntered over from the other end of the training lawn. The grass was dry and tall trees stood dotted about the backyard. The warehouse had a large space for truck parking and it was that very area that now served as their training ground.

"Harry, do you need a minute?" An unusual silence was carried by his words and Harry was momentarily aware of it.

"No, I'm good. Let's start again," Harry quickly diverted back to strengthening his foothold the moment he saw Anna staring at them. "Come on, Noah, punch me."