Chapter 37

"Too Tired? How Can You Be Too Tired?" "Like This:" *Collapses*

Pansy immediately attacked Claire the next morning. Obviously, she didn't actually attack her. But the brunette was waiting outside the Hufflepuff entrance, an excited smirk appearing on her face as she rested casually up against the barrels. 

Claire exited the Common Room, carefully stepping through the entrance to be immediately greeted with Pansy's smug smile. 

"So... how'd it go?" the Slytherin asked, wagging her eyebrows at Claire. She rolled her eyes, but couldn't stop the smile as she held up her left hand. Pansy let out an uncharacteristic squeal, and she pulled the Hufflepuff into a tight hug. 

"How'd he ask? Was it cheesy? Overly romantic?" she wondered, badgering the Hufflepuff. Claire chuckled.

"He... well, he didn't take a breath in between the words, so it took me a few moments to understand what he was asking. Then I said duh, yes. And we kissed. I thought it was cute that he was nervous about it." The two girls were now walking arm-in-arm to the Great Hall, Pansy walking on Claire's left as they chatted about the surprise date. 

"You knew all along, didn't you, that he'd propose? The whole day? Is that why you kept smirking at us?" Claire inquired. Pansy tried to hide her grin, but it was too late, Claire saw it. She groaned playfully at the other girl.

"Pansy! You couldn't have at least warned me a little? I swear, my heart stopped when he asked!" the blonde exclaimed, causing Pansy to laugh. 

"Well, seeing as you're still alive and your heart's still beating, I'd say that you were fine." she teased. Claire made a face at her, pretending to un-loop her arm in mock-offense.   

"That is very rude, Pansy. Très impoli." Claire retorted.

"You know what else is rude?-" Pansy tried to reply. 

"You." Claire interrupted with a grin. The brunette rolled her eyes as they walked towards the Slytherin table.

"Well, you're not wrong, but I was going to say, the fact that we are expected to remember everything we learned before break." she said, pulling Claire down next to her on the bench, near where Theo was moodily eating a piece of toast. 

"I know I'm not wrong, it's me, for heavens' sake. And, I know what you mean. Like, I'm supposed to remember that one charm we barely went over, and then we're expected to perform it without trouble? Excuse me? Since when does that make sense?" Claire complained, making Pansy chuckle.

"You're being narcissistic, C. And what charm? I can help you." she told her. Claire sighed.

"It's not narcissistic if you and I both know it's true. And it's-" she didn't get to tell her friend the charm as her fiancé swept into the Great Hall, very dramatically, before taking a seat next to Claire, letting out an aggravated huff as he sat down. She rolled her eyes fondly at him.

"What's got you in a bad mood, Draco? Did Potter look at you wrong?" Pansy teased. He didn't even reply, just scowled at her. Claire frowned, and placed her hand over his. He immediately gripped her fingers, as if trying to ground himself. Pansy gave her a "talk to him" look, to which Claire mouthed "later"

"Anyways, it's that one charm that duplicates things. I forget what it's even called, though I do remember that I laughed at the name." she said, turning the attention from her fiancé. Pansy scoffed.

"What, you mean Geminio? Claire, it's easy!" she replied. Claire's brows furrowed. 

"Maybe for you, Pans, but for some reason I'm struggling with it." she retorted defensively. Pansy immediately felt bad for making her friend feel stupid. She sighed, and promised the blonde that she'd help her after classes that day.