Chapter 1

I grabbed my drink from the bar only to turn around to something I never wanted to see, ever. I set my glass back down before I dropped it for threw it...at her head.  Suddenly feeling sick watching my girlfriend flirt and kiss another girl's cheek, I turned around and called a cab. 

Later, my phone rang with her name and picture flashing across my screen and I answered knowing that if I didn't now, my phone would be dead. "Hello?" 

"Let me in, I'm outside."  She said in a less than cheerful tone.

"Of course you are," I mumbled, hanging up the phone and going over to buzz her in to my place just like I had so many times before.

"What the hell happened to you back there?" She spat once I opened the door as she stormed in without being invited. Closing the door, I knew what she was talking about but I wanted to hear her say it.

"I'm not sure that I know what you're talking about,"  Ruby turned around with a furious facial expression.

"Don't even dare to play dumb, Sawyer. It's not a good look on you. I'm talking about turning around and seeing your drink on the counter but you nowhere around to drink it. Explain that!" 

"Alright, you're my girlfriend, Ruby! So seeing you flirt with other girls and kissing their cheeks is kind of a mood killer so excuse me for not wanting to be around."

Ruby scoffed and crossed her arms over her chest, "I wasn't flirting," 

"Really? Because your bedroom eyes spoke for you!" 

"Fine! If you can't handle my carefree nature, maybe we should just break up then!"  I flinched at her harsh tone and the way she spat her words. Seeing my reaction, her eyes softened and her shoulders relaxed a bit but despite the severity of her words, I found a small amount of truth. "Sawyer, I'm sorry, I didn't mean for my words to come out like that." I shook my head.

"No you're right, I can't handle it. I'm insecure and we both know it. Maybe you should go find a girl that is carefree and easy going because I'm clearly not it." By now I was sitting on the ground with my knees pulled up to my chest, ready to burst into tears. Seeing that I was ready to climb back into my shell and never come out, Ruby sat down next to me with her arm around my shoulders. 

"Maybe we took things too fast and expected too much, maybe we're just not compatible right now. We're both still young and need to live a little before committing to something serious." I nodded, a knot developing in my throat with every word she spoke because even if I didn't want to admit it, I knew she was right. I took a deep breath and pushed the inevitable tears away and wiped the few that had escaped.

"I think we just need to live our lives for a while and if we happen to cross roads again, then we can discuss having a relationship." I could see her nod from the corner of my eye. Every word that left my mouth, stung my heart, "Yeah, I'd like that."  She smiled small before squeezing my shoulder as we stood up and faced each other.

"Sawyer Wren, this isn't goodbye, this is just see you later, okay?"  She said, cupping my face gently in her hands as her thumb rubbed my cheek, wiping away a few stray tears that had fallen.

"Ruby Rose, this is just see you later."  She moved my face close to hers, closing the gap between us in the sweetest kiss we've ever shared. As her scent invaded my senses, I could help the few tears that had escaped. I squeezed her arms and kissed her like I'd never see her again before letting her go, to walk right out of my life.

"See you later, Sawyer."

"See you later, Ruby."  With that, she opened my door and gently closed it behind her. Once it was shut and I knew she was out of earshot, I broke down and let the tears flow.