A Simple Test... Part 6

Marcy pinwheeled in the water, laughing. Her twenty four hours as a mermaid was nearly finished, but the fun she had during that time had barely decreased.

She'd been messing around with Finley for the past hour now, having fun swimming together, and talking.

Marcy felt slightly guilty with all of this. She had damaged her academics so badly this last semester, and no longer had a job. She didn't deserve -

No. She wasn't giving into those thoughts. She deserved to be happy.

But after all that time, it came to an end.

A beeping sound echoed throughout the pool - the lab's indicator of that they wanted them to surface.

She frowned, and turned to Finley.

"You don't want to give it up?" he guessed.

"No," she sighed.

"All you have to do is say that then," he smiled.

Marcy remolded a smile onto her face, and then surfaced.

"Oh," Sharon said looking to her, "don't give me that face, you've been swimming for hours. You can go a bit without."

Marcy boosted herself up onto the edge of the pool. "Please Sharon," she  pleaded, "I've made my decision. I want the permanent mermaid change."

Sharon smiled. "We'll see. You need to decide first if you want to continue being a girl."

"I -"

"Give it time," Sharon stopped her. "You're enthusiasm is admirable, but I think you should think about it."

Marcy stared straight ahead for a moment, off into nothing. Finally, she nodded in agreement.

"Wow," Sharon said, "you little mermaid, were cutting it close."

Marcy looked down, and saw as her scales seemed to be sinking into her skin.

"Let's hurry and get you into a changing room," Sharon said, lifting Marcy into the waiting wheelchair.

"This is the only thing I don't like about it," Marcy said, "dealing with clothes."

"Yeah," Sharon laughed. "I've torn two swimsuits because I forgot about it. Please don't follow my poor example."

Marcy laughed.

She went into a changing room they had ready. It reminded Marcy of the little room they'd lent to her to sleep in, only it had a bench and locker instead of a bed.

Sharon locked the door behind them, and Marcy became red faced as the transformation finished, revealing her womanhood.

"It's okay," Sharon said. "We're just two girls here right?"

"I didn't think I would change back so fast," Marcy said.

"The first transformation is the longest," Sharon explained, using an id card to open a locker, "the second is shorter, then subsequent ones get faster until it stabilizes at quickest around two to five minutes."

"So basically," Marcy said, "I could just run out into the ocean, dive in, and become a mermaid before I drown?"

"I actually suspect," Sharon said, pulling a plastic tray of clothes from the locker, "that with our small sample size, and you trending shorter than any of our other mers... you probably could change in less than a minute."

A smug look came to Marcy's face. "I am undrownable."

"You really should decide on a better superhero name than that Marcy," Sharon said.