nine

" We're sleeping on our problems like we'll solve them in our dreams "

Dagobah's muddy ground splashed up with every swift stride Luke made. He jumps over roots, climbs up vines, and flips over murky puddles with the small Jedi master strapped to his back.

"Run!  Yes.  A Jedi's strength flows from the Force.  But beware of the dark side.  Anger... fear... aggression.  The dark side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight.  If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.... as it did Obi Wan's apprentice." Yoda preached as Luke decided to abruptly stop underneath a sizable tree to catch his breath.

"Vader," he turned to face the green creature, "is the dark side stronger?"

"No! Quicker, easier, more seductive."

"But how do I know the good side from the bad?" He pressed.

"You will know. When you are calm, at peace. Passive. A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack."

"But tell me why I can't –"

"No, no, there is no why. Nothing more will I teach you today. Clear your mind of questions. Mmm. Mmmmmmmm." Yoda interrupted Luke's argument.

Luke lets Yoda down onto the ground, and ambles over to a tree where he'd hung his slightly tattered button up. He puts it back on, and as he does, something to the side of him pulls his gaze towards it. He turns to see a dead tree, still enormous despite its lack of life. It is surrounded by a shallow marsh and its own large, knotted roots. The roots formed a dark cave, which was what drew Luke's gaze. Something sinister about it sent a chill through his whole body. "There's something not right here."

Yoda said nothing in response, instead he sat on a large root of another tree, poking a long stick into the soggy ground.

"I feel cold, death." Luke mumbled. The sensation radiating from the cave distressed him so much he could barely even say a word.

Yoda narrows his eyes, and points his stick at the cave. "That place... is strong with the dark side of the Force. A domain of evil it is. In you must go."

"What's in there?" There had to be something in there for it to seem so sinister.

"Only what you take with you."

Luke grabs his weapons belt from the tree, and begins to strap it on, but glances back to the Jedi. "Your weapons... you will not need them."

Luke ignores the advice, and straps it in anyway, and wanders off towards the cave. There was no way he was going into a dark, unfamiliar cave without a weapon.

The cave's entrance was narrow, almost too narrow for him to slide inside. He climbs down, the narrow hole transforms into a large opening, surrounded on all sides by mud and tree roots. To his left, a snake slithered up a dead root, to his right, a lizard perched on another root hisses at the blond. Cautiously, he continued on into the darkness, using his saber to light his way.

The cave mysteriously goes silent for a moment. Then, a loud hiss breaks through the silence and Darth Vader materializes from behind a chunk of ground.

As someone put a mask over his eyes, Luke's vision switches to that of a low budget holomovie from his normally crystal clear sight. As Vader charges toward him, saber aimed for the boy's neck, Luke disassociates from himself, watching as his own reflexes meet Vader's strike, sidesteps, and slashed the sinister figure's head clean off his shoulders. Vader's helmet tumbles to his feet before the face piece explodes to reveal the identity of the man behind it.

Luke peers over to see the smoke dissipated to reveal his face. As the vision fades away, so does his consciousness.

•••

"Oh thank goodness we're coming out of the asteroid field." See Threepio chirps.

Chewie also roars in excitement as the sea of rocks disappear back into one of stars. The excitement is cut short by a blast from a Star Destroyer, causing the ship to lurch to one side. Han quickly realigns the ship and prepares to pull the hyperdrive throttle. "Let's get out of here.  Ready for light-speed? One... two... three!"

Nothing happens. The Falcon remains at regular speed while Imperial fire continues to graze them. Han slams his fist on the controls. "It's not fair!"

Chewie roars an angry response to his captain. Han desperately tries the throttle again. "The transfer circuits are working. It's not my fault!"

The Wookiee places his head in his paws, and shakes his head in frustration. Elara looks to Leia, and rolls her eyes.

"So no light speed?" Leia guessed, her tone indicative of her expectation of this.

"It's not my fault!" Han whines again, trying to figure out his next actions.

"Sir! We just lost the main rear deflector shield," Threepio announces, "one more hit on the back quarter and we're done for."

Han heaves a sigh, and pulls back in a different lever. "Turn her around."

Chewie barks a confused question back at him. "I said turn her around! I'm gonna put all power in the front shield."

Elara's heart dropped out of her chest. He's going to attack a Star Destroyer.

"You're gonna attack them?!" Leia stammered in disbelief.

"Sir! The odds of surviving a direct assault on an Imperial Star Destroyer are –"

"Shut up!"

a/n
hey hey!! second day in a row with an update!! this ones just a tad shorter than my normal chapters buttttt I hope you all liked it <3
also please pardon my kinda meh writing from Luke's perspective in the cave. I really wanted to illustrate the angst but I've never been good at emotional scenes like that even though if you know me you know I am somewhat of an emotional person haha
anyways, I hope you all enjoyed, and since I will have a full day of free time tomorrow, I will be working on multiple chapters so I can kinda get a consistent update schedule started!! don't forget to vote & comment & make sure u stay hydrated!! ily guys!!