fourteen

(media coming soon)

if i can dream long enough,
you'd tell me I'd be just fine

"Listen, Lando, I'll see you tomorrow alright?" Han patted the suave man's shoulder before sliding shut the door to their room, provided complimentary to them until the Falcon could be repaired.

Leia stood staring out the panoramic window at the cotton candy clouds of the gas planet as the sun set. Flynn stuck behind Elara who had been curiously wandering the main area of the room – something in her mind screaming there was something off about this room – but she just couldn't understand what. Maybe it was the fresh bottles of wine, champagne, and Han's favorite Corellian Whiskey on the kitchen counter, or the brochures placed on various counters and side tables, or the sets of clothes and shoes laid on the coffee table that were just enough for the four of them.

She stopped, and leaned against the wall, blankly staring at the marbled floor. The aura of the city was strange, yet there was a familiarity to it. A familiarity that weighed her shoulders down with dread and made her so nauseous she could hardly stand straight. She became so lost in herself she hadn't even heard Han droning on about a past adventure with Lando until he uttered the words Crimson Dawn.

"You worked for the Crimson Dawn?" She inquired, Leia and Flynn's attention now piqued by Han's casual mention of the syndicate, that, unbeknownst to him, tied back to Elara's parents' murder.

"Well, yes and no. We did steal coaxium for them, yes, but we didn't give it to them. We gave it to someone much more deserving than their filth, and," Han untwisted the cap to the whiskey on the kitchen counter, "we disposed of that piece of work Vos."

"You were the one who killed him?" Leia pressed, in place of Elara's speechlessness.

"I wish. But–" Han paused, interrupted by Elara's silent departure into the room connecting to the kitchen. He cast a confused glance in Leia's direction. The Princess instead said nothing, and followed after her friend.

Through the thin doors she could hear the smuggler ponder as to what he'd said wrong, and she longed to tell him, but it simply was too long of a story he wouldn't understand. Even if it wasn't, that wouldn't have been her focus right now – the sensitivity of Elara toward anything tying back to her parents was. Even after 6 years, the event tore her apart still. And, it was still painful for the Princess herself to even think about.

She found her friend lying face up on the room's king sized bed dazing up at the ceiling, and seated herself on the edge of the bed. "Hey."

She didn't answer.

"I'm sure he doesn't know." Leia laid a comforting hand on her shoulder.

"I know, it's just – everywhere we go, there's just some connection, and I still don't know why. After all this time. We know who did it. We know it was a hit. But we don't know why that hit was put out." Elara stared into the textured ceiling as if it were a new constellation she'd found to study – as if it somehow had the answers she sought.

Leia sighed. "I don't think we'll ever know. That died with my father."

"But what if he didn't know, Leia? Anyone affiliated with the Crimson Dawn wouldn't just give that information out," Elara cocked her head to look over at Leia, "somewhere there is an answer."

"That you might not find. I want to know as much as you do. Sometimes, as much as it hurts to not have that closure, you have to leave it be."

•••

Luke climbed atop his ship's ladder, packing his items back onboard despite the pleas of Master Yoda. He stepped off the ladder to load a large storage chest into the under compartment of the ship. Yoda disappointedly eyed the young blonde from a nearby log on which he sat. "Luke! You must complete the training!"

"I can't keep the vision out of my head. They're my friends. I've got to help them." Luke sputters.

"You must not go!" Yoda argued with a determination to sway the boy's decision.

"But they'll die if I don't!"

A familiar voice echoed behind the worried Luke; one that belonged to Ben Kenobi. "You don't know that."

Ben materialized onto the same log on which Yoda sat, leaving Luke in awe at what he was seeing. His mere presence captures the blonde's attention. Ben attempts to advise Luke, taking on a comforting tone. "Even Yoda cannot see their fate."

"But I can help them! I can feel the Force!"

"But you cannot control it," Ben reminded, "this is a dangerous time for you, Luke. You will be tempted by the dark side of the Force."

Yoda's eyes lit up. "Yes! Yes! To Obi Wan you listen! The cave, remember your failure at the cave!"

"But I've learned so much since then.  Master Yoda, I promise to return and finish what I've begun. You have my word." Luke whined.

"It is you and your abilities the Emperor wants.  That is why your friends are made to suffer." Ben attempted to reason with him.

"And that is why I have to go."

"Luke, I don't want to lose you to the Emperor the way I lost Vader." Ben's tone fell into one of melancholy – even in death he remained burdened with the wounds left by Anakin's betrayal.

"You won't."

"Stopped they must be. On this all depends. Only a fully trained Jedi Knight with the Force as his ally will conquer Vader and his Emperor. If you end your training now, if you choose the quick and easy path, as Vader did, you will become an agent of evil." Yoda stared down the defiant young pilot.

"Patience." Ben cautioned.

"And sacrifice them?" Luke snapped.

"If you honor what they fight for," Yoda pondered a second, "yes."

a/n
yes i know this is very short. i really wanted this to be longer. i'm sorry. i was stuck on this chapter for literally two weeks and it's definitely more of a filler until we get to the action. I also wanted to have a chapter up in honor of me passing my ptcb (pharmacy technician certification) exam!!

creds to the amazinggg shangchis for the idea in the beginning of this chapter!!

but! i believe next chapter will be the start of some very exciting action as well as an unexpected appearance 👀

anyways please vote & comment if you enjoyed 💓