《4》

The next day, yedam, junkyu, haruto and doyoung decided to hangout in the park in haruto's complex.

Doyoung: it's so hot god dammit.

Haruto: let's go buy drinks?

Doyoung: yes that sounds good to me.

Yedam and junkyu decided to stay behind and lie down on the grass since they couldn't be bothered.

Junkyu: I never liked the idea of someone other than us three being in our group of friends. But after haruto joined, i felt guilty for thinking that way.

Yedam: I get what you mean. He's kind and friendly. Although he was shy at first.

Junkyu: exactly.

Yedam: what do you think about him?

Junkyu: well, I agree with everything you said. And he's also...handsome.

Yedam was baffled because junkyu being flustered was a sight he had never seen in the 3 years they had been friends. At this point he was basically sure.

Yedam: hyung...do you like haruto?

Junkyu: huh? Of course I do. Don't you?

Yedam: no, no hyung. I meant... romantically.

Junkyu blushed as he realized. He looked away. He stayed silent for a while. Until he finally sighed, as if preparing to say something.

Junkyu: guess there's no point hiding it now. Yeah. I do. I don't know how or when but I just...did.

Yedam knew exactly why. His appearance. Haruto fit junkyu's ideal type perfectly. But this was a relief. Because this meant junkyu didn't genuinely love haruto romantically. Not the way doyoung did towards junkyu. Still, it would break doyoung's heart had he heard anything about junkyu liking haruto.

Junkyu: am I that obvious?

Yedam: well...no. Not until you called him handsome right now.

Junkyu: oh thank god.

They laid in silence for a while until they finally heard doyoung and haruto's footsteps approach them. They turned to see them holding drinks and ice cream.

They talked and snacked until the sun started to set.

Doyoung: we should go back now.

Yedam: yep.

They got up and saw haruto off, before they made their way to their own houses too. While they were on their way to the intersection that divided into the paths leading to their houses, junkyu cleared his throat, getting yedam's and doyoung's attention.

Doyoung: what?

Junkyu: okay doyoung. I have something to tell you.

Even yedam was confused.

Junkyu: yedam already knows this.

Yedam: oh no. Oh no no no. This is not happening.

Yedam wanted to stop junkyu from saying anything but he realized doyoung would have to know sooner or later. The sooner it was, the quicker he would get over it. If he would at all, that is.

Junkyu: I like haruto.

Doyoung's face turned from one of smiling into one of hurting. But he tried maintaining his composure and happiness. He punched junkyu's arm jokingly.

Doyoung: woah! G-good for you hyung!

Junkyu: you're not...surprised? Was I really obvious?

Doyoung: no, no I was. I'm just a little hurt that yedam hyung knew and I was the last one to know.

Yedam sure as hell knew that wasn't the reason but of course he wouldn't say it out loud.

Junkyu: I didn't tell yedam, though. Well, I didn't mean to but yedam figured it out. When you went to buy the drinks with haruto.

Doyoung: oh that makes sense.

His face clearly became more gloomy. But it was too dark for anyone to notice.

Doyoung: okay bye bye, both of you! Let's meet tomorrow at school!

He waved enthusiastically. Junkyu and yedam waved back. Yedam knew doyoung was putting up a font. But he also knew doyoung needed time alone, to be able to process the fact that the boy he liked for so long likes someone else that he met a week ago.

Doyoung turned around and headed to his house. His smile faded away. Tears pooled in his eyes. It hurt. It really did. Doyoung never ever expected junkyu to like him back. And he knew that. He was fine with just being junkyu's bestfriend. But knowing junkyu liked someone else now was painful. He pulled down his sleeve and rubbed his eyes with them.

Doyoung: it's okay. Maybe it's just supposed to be this way.

He started running, as if that would help him let it all out. He ran at full speed to his house. He wiped away his tears before entering to make sure no one would notice. He hated feeling like a burden and preferred to keep everything to himself.

The next day, doyoung went and picked up junkyu as usual. And, like always, they met up with yedam along the way. Yedam kept a close eye on doyoung.

Yedam: he's pretending to be okay again...this boy...

They arrived at the school and spotted haruto. Junkyu shyly greeted him, while doyoung remained his enthusiastic self.