Chapter 4: Sadness

Izumi had slept rather soundly for the first time in years, it was most likely because she had found another person to trust yesterday. Unlike both Thursday and Friday, she'd be heading to school today, which was why she was up earlier than usual. The sun hadn't risen yet, but she was sure it was going to come up soon. She got out of her bed and went over to the closet, she opened it to at least a dozen hanged shirts, a pair of shoes, and her uniform. Her father had helped her clean and hang the shirts after dinner. She took a shower before turning in, Felix followed sometime after her. Her stockings, undershirt, skirt, and over shirt were snatched from her closet before she took off her pajamas. It was getting closer to Winter so she put her stockings on first, she was uncomfortable with showing off her legs so she usually wore them year round. Next came her skirt, it covered enough so that there was a very small gap of her skin showing. Finally came her white undershirt and her black over shirt, she had nothing much to cover up so there was nothing much different when she wore it. Currently, she was ready to leave for school, but she didn't want to, not yet at least.

Izumi quietly snuck out of her room after checking that Felix wasn't awake. Immediately, she made her way over to the kitchen and opened the fridge. Whenever Inko had left the house, Izumi had to either eat older leftovers or cook for herself. She thought she was a good cook, so now was the perfect chance for her to pay her father back for yesterday. Even if she had to do it for a hundred days straight she would pay him back by making him breakfast. So after staring at the various ingredients in the fridge, which was essentially just a carton of eggs and a mostly empty gallon of milk at this point, she pulled them out. She set them aside on the counter before reaching for a cupboard, there was a bread bag that only had three pieces left. "Perfect," she whispered before pulling the bag out, she knew exactly what she'd make after pulling out a skillet that was on the small side. After grabbing a bowl from the cabinet right next to the bread, she was ready to get to work.

She placed the skillet on the electric stove, patiently waiting for it to heat the pan after turning it on. Judging by how slowly it was heating, she figured that now what the best time to grab a butter knife and cut the three slices diagonally in half. It was white bread, so she knew it would sear easily, which was why she got to cracking six eggs before stirring them with a fork from the same drawer she got the knife. Once mixed, a dab of milk was added to give them a bit more fluff. By now, the pan should've been hot enough so she put the slices of bread inside. After about 15 seconds she flipped them over and waited another 15 before taking them out. Now was the final part of the breakfast, which was to cook the egg batter. Without oil or even butter, she knew that they would stick to the pan and or not cook well enough. But she still had to cook it, maybe she'd request for one of the two so that she could make him even more delicious meals. She moved the batter around, creating some simple scrambled eggs.

Once they were cooked, she moved the pan onto another 'burner' and turned the stovetop off. She got out one plate and placed it down before placing the sliced bread onto the pan of eggs. Carefully, she created two full slices and readied her butter knife, cutting into the fluffy egg and separating it from the pan. She put the plate over the skillet before flipping the small half sandwiches onto it. She lifted the pan and saw the residual stuck on egg, she supposed that she'd prepare a plate for herself after she finished his meal. She heard the door to his room open, so she turned around to face him. He stood in his doorway in a pair of shorts and a shirt, a yawn escaped him as he looked at her. "Why're you up so early, Izumi?"

"I wanted to make you breakfast," she turned around and grabbed the salt from the bread cabinet. She poured out a pinch of it and sprinkled it onto the four separate sandwiches. "I wanted to pay you back for the breakfast you made me yesterday," she picked up the plate and brought it to the table before placing it down. "I hope you enjoy it, father."