CHAPTER FIFTY TWO.

wonwoo

after running on nothing but adrenaline for the entire weekend, i was more than grateful that we were at least allowed to rest on monday and tuesday: apparently the teachers that had chaperoned us had pleaded with the headmaster for a couple days off, something about us being 'a handful' and that the trip was 'traumatising'.

i fully intended to spend the two days off by myself in the comforting confines of my bedroom. unfortunately my friends already had a plan, which involved us meeting at orbit cafe for lunch. with my mother at work, i got ready in the silence of my empty house before stepping out at around midday.

since everyone is at work or school, the streets are incredibly quiet; i should be more alert but i'm so worn out by the battle with demeter, it's a miracle that i made it to the cafe without being hit by a car or a bike or something.

anyway, it looks like i'm the first one here as i step into the rejuvenating warmth and the lingering aroma of freshly ground coffee. jun lazes behind the counter, messing around with some sugar granules that'd been carelessly spilt beforehand. he jumps at my approach, going into 'customer service mode' before recognising me and slumping back down.

"hey wonwoo, how was the trip?" he asks, beginning to make my usual drink despite the fact that i haven't actually ordered yet. i make a noise of indifference in response, working out how best to summarise such an awful, beautiful, chaotic weekend.

"me too," jun responds, sliding a steaming americano towards me, with a complimentary cookie. "on the house," he winks.

i thank him quietly and choose a booth near the back, shrugging my coat off as i cup the mug in my frigid hands. a couple minutes later, i'm joined by mingyu and minghao before hansol strolls in last, on his own time as per usual; he's hardly fazed as he slides in next to me. i offer him my cookie and he polishes it off in two bites.

"sorry we're late! we've got a fifteen minute break to catch up."

joshua and jun approach us, pulling up a chair each. they're still in their work uniforms and reek of coffee and vanilla.

"alright so, did you see the group chat yesterday?" mingyu begins. both baristas nod and jun begins to elaborate.

"first of all, good job for finding him. did you have to fight?" it seems like he already knew the answer by our reactions and nods silently, leaning back and taking a sip of minghao's drink, much to the younger's complaint.

"i found seokmin too," joshua says with caution. "he works at the bookstore a few blocks away from here. and i...uh..."

he's about to add something when suddenly he thinks better of it, eyes darting anxiously between us before resting on me. with a deep breath, he continues.

"i tried to get the rings from wonwoo's house, y'know...to initiate him or whatever. but the box didn't open."

as joshua's statement settles upon us, the atmosphere suddenly morphs into one of solemnity.

"it didn't open?" i ask, genuinely confused. i've never had an issue with the box before and the design looks incredible well-made and expensive.

"yeah," joshua breathes, clasping and unclasping his hands. "it was like it had been glued shut or something."

"did you press and then flip?"

he lets out a light chuckle. "yes, i tried everything. and i don't want to scare you, but it felt like i was being watched the whole time."

"...watched?"

joshua nods in such a way that sends a clear signals that he doesn't want to relive the memory anymore. i don't push it but suddenly i feel really uneasy about going back home alone.