Complex words

Damian was bored out of his mind, he wanted to be anywhere else but here. Peter was at school, Pepper and Tony were doing some stupid work and Evaline was on her home planet. Banner couldn't come into the lab, so Damian had nothing to do all day. He wandered around the halls of the tower, looking for something to do.

He saw Natasha training in one of the training rooms, and decided to join the woman. He walking in and Natasha noticed him. "Hey Damian, what are you doing" Natasha asks the boy. She steps away from her punching bag and looks to Damian. Damian just shrugs, "May I join you." Natasha nods, taking a little breathe. "Sure Damian, come we can spar" The woman says. Damian walks closer to her.

They start sparring and Natasha is surprised at how well Damian can fight. He is quick on his feet and clearly has been trained before. "So, tell me about your family Damian" Natasha askes. Damian looks confused but nods his head anyways. "Well, My oldest brother is nice, The second oldest is impulsive and the last on is dumb" Damian says.

Natasha laughs at this. "I know that, but what were they like." Damian thinks of what to say to this, but agrees in the end. "My oldest brother was my favourite, but don't tell him that" Damian said holding back a smile. Natasha laughed at that. "Todd, the second eldest, was brave. I liked him, but he was annoying" Damian explained. "Drake was annoying and unworthy of my fathers love" Damian snarled out. Natasha gave Damian a worried look.

"Someone's jealous" Natasha said holding back a laugh. Damian just clicked his tongue "TT, I am not jealous." Damian dodged a punch to his arm, before going back into the fight. He tried to pull out Natasha's feet from under her but she was faster than that. "So tell me about your dad" Natasha asked again. Damian huffed at this, but started to talk none the less.

"He was a good man, very smart and powerful. He was a very good fighter as well" Damian rambled. He didn't know what to say about his father, because he didn't know much about him. After living with him for 3 years, he still felt like a stranger to Damian. Damian pushed down the bad thoughts and focused on fighting.

Natasha was a good fighter, Damian had to admit that. He went to get a punch in her stomach but she dodged it, before going to kick at Damians back. Damian stumbled out of the way. Damian managed to get a hit on Natasha in her stomach, but not before Natasha hit his upper back. Damian shook of the pain and kept fighting.

After there sparring, Damian went and sat down at the bench. Natasha sat next to him, drinking some of her water. "What was it like" Damian whispered. Natasha barely heard the boy. She gulped down her water before turning to him. "What do you mean" Natasha asked. Damian stayed silent. "TT, it was foolish, never mind." Natasha turned her body towards Damian.

"Damian, it's okay. Ask your question" Natasha said. Damian turned to the woman, sighing. "What was it like for you growing up as an assassin" Damian said just so Natasha could hear. Natasha ran a hand through her hair, letting out a long deep breath. "It was bad, I did bad things, but that doesn't make me a bad person" Natasha answered truthfully. Damian's confusing showed on his face, "But you killed people."

Natasha nodded, "I don't anymore." Damian just nodded, letting the topic fall away. Natasha knew the boy wasn't understanding what she was saying. "Damian, It was abuse and manipulation. We, I wasn't given a choice. That's all I knew, I thought it was okay" Natasha responded. She put her hand on the boys shoulder. Something she said made Damian realize that what happened at the league was abuse.

Damian looked up at Natasha, eyes shining with unshedded tears. "Your not a bad person" Damian whispered. Natasha shook her head, "no, I don't believe I am." Natasha wrapped the kid in a tight hug. The boy didn't make a sound. The only reason Natasha knew he was crying was the shake in his shoulders and the tremors that ran through his spine.

Words were left unsaid in that conversation. Natasha knew Damian wasn't asking about her, he was talking about himself. Damian felt embarrassed and angry for letting himself break apart infront of someone he has only known for a month. He had to be better if he wanted to get back to his real family. Something about Natasha's warmth and the hug she gave him made him feel safe.

Safe in a way he never felt with his mother. She didn't think of him as a bad person, not like his family did. Maybe he was embarrassed, but he was too hurt and tired to care. He let the woman hug him. He let her hold him while he cried. He let her do all the things a mother was supposed to do. Everything his mother wouldn't.