Violet's First Day at Work

"Rule number one now that you're working with me, answer your goddamn phone," Gabe barked as he tore the door open. He flipped the light switch on and stood there for a moment until I peeled my eyelids apart to see him dressed in office attire, hands on hips, not thrilled.

I wasn't either. "I'm getting tired of you people interrupting my sleep."

"No wonder you were fired. Did you forget about work today? Come on, it's already 8:30, let's get a move on."

"Are you kidding? I was up all fucking night researching your girl."

"Does it look like I'm kidding? UP!"

Glaring, I pushed myself out of bed and stumbled to the bathroom. Honestly, I was marginally excited about working again, and the dynamic with Gabe kept my adrenaline pumping. Having a sense of purpose kept me on track.

My shower was quick, and I emerged only a few minutes later in my towel, hair dripping. Gabe sat on the recliner flipping through paperwork and peeked up when I entered.

"Can you give me a few to get dressed?"

"And give you a window of opportunity to snort that shit again? No way. I'm not taking any chances, and besides," he licked his lips, "it's not like I haven't seen it all before."

I smirked and unwrapped myself, now using the towel to dry my hair. Gabe watched as I dressed in red silk bikini panties with matching bra, slacks, and a long-sleeved button-down black shirt. Then I sat on my wooden stool (and ouch!) to apply make-up, covering the circles under my eyes. Gabe stared at me in silence, making me uncomfortable, but I was too tired to care. When I was working on my eyeshadow, he spoke.

"Did you use any last night?"

Glancing up at him with a half-glare, I snapped, "No. You delivered the message loud and clear yesterday."

"Good. Did you figure out who Pattie Cake is?"

"I'm not that talented, but we're a few steps closer than when we started. I need a little more info from your cringy client."

"My receptionist is scheduling a meeting for next Monday so you can ask all questions off-the-record. He'll bring a copy of the blackmail video she left in 2013. I'm sure you'll find more identifying information in it."

He continued discussing the case as I finished getting ready, then slipped my feet into black boots. When I finished, he pushed me out the door and downstairs where his driver was waiting.

It was an uncomfortable ride to the office. My ass was still sore from last night and Gabe rambled about cases the entire time, to me and on the phone. I texted with Molly while he made calls, giving her shit for having decided he should be my spanker. It was working, but what a (literal) pain in the ass.

When we finally arrived at the massive building, he handed me a notebook. "By the end of the workday, I need your list of debts. Work on the cases I've given you and meet me in my office at 7:30 to discuss what you've written. Understood?"

"I'm not gonna keep saying 'yes, Sir,' just so you know."

"I know." He placed a hand on my back to guide me into the elevator and we ascended to the 46th floor.

The familiarity gave me a sense of nostalgia as we walked towards his office. A beautiful blue-eyed chick sat at the secretary desk. She stood when we arrived, grinning as if recognizing me.

Gabe stopped and pointed at each of us as an introduction: "Chloe, Violet."

"Yes, we met a couple of days ago," she said, winking at me.