The letter to Krishna

Vidarbha, this region was ruled by King Bhishmaka. Bhishmaka's wife was Shuddhamati, the queen of Vidarbha. Once Bhishmaka was walking across a river when he saw a box on a lotus that had bloomed in the river water above the green shiny lotus leaf. He opened it and saw a baby girl having such dazzling bright tej. That was when he heard a voice.

This voice was coming straight out of the blue colored endless sky. The voice announced, " This girl is Sri Mahalakshmi herself. As Shri Hari  Vishnu has incarnated himself on earth, Mahalakshmi followed. Accept her as your daughter."

He accepted her delightfully and took her to the palace of Vidarbha.

Bhishmaka and Shuddhamati named her Rukmini. According to traditional accounts she was born on Vaishakha ekadashi. Few years passed by. Rukmini was eight years old now.

One day Narada muni came to the Vidarbha palace. Bhishmaka gave him a very warm welcome. Rukmini was also present there. So, he recited the stories of Krishna to Bhishmaka and Rukmini. Rukmini was very surprised by the stories of Lord Krishna. And this was the beginning of curiosity.

Her curiosity developed as she heard about the other Krishna leelas. She came to know about all his leelas as the time passed by.

When she grew up she fell in love with him whose virtue, charm and greatness she had heard much of. Her eldest brother Rukmi was a friend of evil king Kansa who was killed by Krishna so he used to dislike him with full passion.

King Bhishmaka and queen Shuddhamati also wanted Rukmini to marry Krishna but Rukmi strongly opposed it.

He instead proposed that she will be married to his friend Shishupala, the crowned prince of Chedi who was no good. Shishupala was the cousin of Krishna. Bhishmaka gave up on his thoughts but Rukmini who had heard the conversation between Rukmi and Bhishmaka was horrified and immediately sent for a Brahmin whom she trusted, Sunanda. She asked him to deliver a letter to Krishna...
__________________
_________________________________________

I will make a separate chapter of the birth of Devi Rukmini cause it's a long story. Stay tuned.
Jai Rukmini Dwarkadhish!