3. Family moments

"What a great idea it was that we all gathered for lunch!" said Jacob before devouring the chicken leg lying on his plate.

"It's been long since last time, brother..." Eftyhia agreed.

"Indeed, we haven't been all together for months," said their mother, Christina. "You've been avoiding us lately, my daughter. I know you've got your own family now, but don't stop caring about us..."

"From now on we will be lunching together more often," said Eftyhia filling her mother's glass with wine.

"Mum, I want more fries!" requested Angelica.

"I'll get you some", came forward Grandpa George and  and stood up to fill his granddaughter's plate with French fries.

"Eftyhia, could you please explain why your husband's missing again?" Christina asked indiscreetly.

Expected though it might be, Eftyhia was distressed by the issue Christina was bringing up. Under no circumstances would her mother stay away from her personal problems. She was always getting involved in other people's lives, especially Jacob's and hers.

"My beloved husband is in Belgrade at the moment. Today, the final contracts will be signed."

"But don't you miss 'im? How can he always be away from his family like that? Is his job more important than you?"

"Come on, Mum, stop talking about Kyriakos. He's a businessman, there's nothing we can do about it...!" said Jacob.

"Curse you and your words!"

"Mum, my words are fine. You'd better watch your language. Besides, you're the one who didn't even manage to graduate from high school."

"That was cruel of you," replied Christina obviously peeved. "But I'll endure it. I'm used to all of you hurting me."

"Come on, Mother, Jacob isn't being malicious at all. The truth is you could enrol at a second-chance school. It's never too late to get the Certificate of Secondary Education," responded Eftyhia.

"How could she possibly go back to school? Since she doesn't work, she must take care of the housework. Otherwise, who will do the cooking, the washing-up and the ironing? Who will clean up the house?" protested George.

"Your point of view is very old-fashioned, Father," replied Eftyhia.

"Indeed, Dad," said Jacob.

"Dad is right," said Christina. "Who will do the chores? Do you intend to offer a helping hand, my son?"

"In fact, it's not a bad idea at all!" Eftyhia suggested. "Say something, Mother!"

"What can I say? Both of them are good-for-nothing... Resting all day long, not helping me at all..."

"They must knuckle down. Are you going to be a housekeeper forever?" asked Eftyhia.

"Mind your own home, my dear. And, just out of curiosity, does Kyriakos help you out with the household chores?"

"All roads lead to Kyriakos", thought Eftyhia, but tried to stay calm. "Of course he does!" she answered nervously.

Christina fell silent and, for the first time, there was quietness at the table.

"Eat, all of you! Your dishes are still full!" the hostess observed.

"I am finished," said Jacob.

"Me too! Me too!" said Angelica, proud of her achievement.

"Okay, wait for the others. Then we'll eat dessert all together."

"Oh! Did you make a dessert?" asked George enthusiastically.

"I sure did! Lunch without dessert is no lunch at all. But you must eat first, father George", said Eftyhia feeding her father a mouthful of chicken. "No empty dish, no dessert!"

"Don't take too much care of him or he'll start acting high and mighty," warned Christina.

"I can't help it. He is one of a kind."

"Mm... That was delicious!" said George gluttonously.

"The chicken thigh was perfect too!" added Jacob.

"You're acting as if you've been kept unfed!" cried Christina.

"Come on, Mum, I've just got used to your food all these years. I'm not saying you're a bad cook, for goodness sake; it's just that you should try making something different every now and then."

"Don't you dare say Eftyhia cooks better than I do! It was I who taught her how to cook!"

"That probably means you did a great job," said Eftyhia smiling.

Christina welcomed the compliment.

"Actually, I cooked too fast so I really couldn't say if the food would be good," Eftyhia added. "The truth is I was shopping all day."

"What did you buy?" asked her mother.

"Clothes, for the little one. She grows taller and wider so fast! She needs new clothes every six months!"

"Did you let her choose herself?"

"No, Mum. I left her at home with Mary."

"Ah! How is she? Still unmarried?"

"MUM!" Jacob and Eftyhia shouted simultaneously.

"But I didn't say anything bad at all!"