2. Friendship

Jacob's phone was ringing. This had to be Orestis at last!

"Hello?" he responded.

"Hey, bro!"

It was his best friend, Irene.

"What's up, girl?" he asked his friend affectionately, as if she were standing before him.

"All good! And you?"

"How can I feel good when unloved?"

"Hey... What are you talking about?"

"At the exact moment you called me, I was about to call Orestis back. Well... Actually, re-call him. I've already called him once but he didn't pick up the phone."

"Oh, what did he do to you again?"

"Nothing. And that's the problem. He hasn't contacted me for a while..."

"Jacob, I've been telling you over and over again. It's quite obvious that Orestis doesn't care about you. Otherwise he wouldn't have lost touch."

"I know. I just... I just can't stop thinking about him."

"But you have to! This whole story has been hurting you. You must move on."

"I know. And I will... in theory. In practice, however, I can't."

"How could I help you? How about going clubbing on Saturday night and meeting some new people?"

"I'm not in the mood. But thanks for saying it."

"That's what friends are for."

"Do you know what I have concluded?"

"What?"

"Since I started getting busy romancing, I can't feel calm. I feel disgusted with my life and myself."

"Sweetheart, didn't you know that the only thing sex brings is trouble?"

"You're probably right," Jacob agreed.

"Of course I am! I'm always right!" bragged his friend.

"Dumb, that's what you are!" joked Jacob.

"Well, time to go now. I'm hungry. We'll catch up later, okay?"

"Okay", Jacob sighed.

"Have a nice day! And do me a favour: Don't waste your time thinking over nonsense. You do have love! You have... me!"

"How do you manage to touch me every time?"

"I know you..."

"You know I love you too, right?"

"I do!" Irene reassured him and ended the phone call.