6. Christmas

On Christmas Day, George Nikolopoulos' big Greek family gathered for din­ner. Unsurprisingly, not until the last moment was it clear whether Kyriakos would be present but he eventually showed up with Eftyhia and Angelica. Jacob hadn't seen his brother-in-law for a whole year, so he was not particularly warm to him.

Another reason why the young man was morose that day was the fact that he had to contact Orestis to wish him "Happy birthday!" and "Merry Christmas!". He had rethought about his proposal but didn't change his mind. It was too late! Besides, Christmas was a family affair for Jacob; hence, he wouldn't dishonour it for anyone's sake. So, he kindly refused to spend time with Orestis. If he had asked him out for dinner any other time of the year, he would have accepted. But why hadn't he done it all this time during which they had known each other? A thought that had crossed his mind was that Orestis might not have been able to ar­range anything else for Christmas Day – his parents lived in a southern village – so Jacob was his last resort.

Whatever the case might be, the young man was ready to turn the page in his life and leave the past behind once and for all. Sooner or later, the memory of this "relationship" would fade away. For the rest, Jacob's Christmas day was indifferent, without tension or ex­citement.

SEASON'S GREETINGS EVERYONE!!!