5. Love in delay

As it seemed, the "thing" between Jacob and Orestis wasn't going to get any more se­rious. Jacob had already accepted this fact long ago and now he was finally ready to end this situation before it would turn into hatred. Besides, there was no further reason to insist; even the slightest opportunity that their situationship could develop into some­thing more meaningful had been lost.

Determined to save himself from the psychological fetters of emotional insecurity once and for all, he looked for Orestis' name in his contacts. He would announce him his decision just via a phone call. Of course, this wasn't representative of his manners, but it would be easier this way. On the contrary, were they to meet in person, he might hesi­tate.

The name "Orestis" was there in front of him. He hung back for a moment, but then his doubts fleeted away. He gathered all his courage and pressed his finger on the screen. His lover picked it up almost immediately.

"Hello?" Orestis' voice emerged.

"Hi. How are you doing?" asked Jacob.

"And I was just wondering why you disappeared for so long... I'm fine. Just as usual: work, work, work. What's up with you? We haven't talked for a while."

"Nah? As if you cared!" mocked Jacob.

"What's that complaint about?" asked Orestis strictly.

"Well, if you wanted to know how I was doing, you could've called me. You do have my number!" Jacob said sharply, raising the tone.

"Yes, you're right. I could've," Orestis agreed. "But you know me. I don't want to bother you... Besides, I'm used to you calling me instead."

"You are used to me running after your love, jerk," Jacob thought, but he didn't speak.

"Hello? Jake?"

"Yes, I'm listening," said the boy while trying to calm down.

"I have a proposal for you, kid."

"A proposal?" asked the young man. "What kind of proposal? Marriage proposal?" he joked.

"Ha ha! Don't be happy! Well..." Orestis paused for a few seconds and continued: "...I suggest spending Christmas together, if you'd like. As you know, it's my birthday on that day and I was thinking of taking you out for dinner."

"Oh..."

Orestis' proposal blew Jacob's mind! That phone call had taken a completely different turn from what he expected. No, it wasn't supposed to be like that. He had called him to put an end to their situationship, not to rekindle their emotions.

"Of course, I'll understand it if you won't, or can't. It is sensible that you'll probably want to spend this day with your family", said Orestis with understanding. "It is just a thought that passed through my mind. It's not binding for you."

"That's the problem: nothing is binding..." the boy thought. Not even that could save the situation between them. He had long been disturbed by the way Orestis treated him, since he would only think of him whenever it was convenient for him to do so. And who could assure Jacob that Orestis wouldn't change his mind and cancel the dinner at short notice while the young man would have already found a good excuse to tell his parents for missing the family Christmas day? He shouldn't accept. His "boyfriend" was unwor­thy of trust, to say the least.

"You surprised me, Orestis," he finally told him. "But... what does all of that mean?"

"What do you want it to mean?" Orestis wondered.

"I asked first!"

"Oh, okay. I'm not sure what you want me to tell you. I just thought it would be nice to spend my birthday with someone I'm close with. As you know, my parents live in the village so... I prefer to dine with you rather than hang out with my friends."

"Okay," said Jacob conciliatorily. "But... you clearly don't give a damn about what I prefer..."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I'm not sure if I want to do it," he admitted.

Orestis needed a few moments to process what he had just heard but he shortly re­gained his self-confidence.

"Take your time to think about it and let me know of your final decision," he said res­olutely.

"All right, Orestis. I'll think about it..." Jacob relented.

Although there wasn't the faintest chance that he would accept Orestis' proposal, he wanted to be polite. Nevertheless, he noticed that Orestis wouldn't take "no" for an an­swer. He was one of those people who always wanted to have it their way.

**************************************************

Author's Note

Hey, guys! Thanks for reading my story so far. I would like to find out what your thoughts are. So, have you ever been in such a situationship? What did/would you do in such a case? What do you think Jacob must do?

Thanks again! And... don't forget to leave a comment! It's a really magical experience to mentally connect with other people, even if they're strangers! :)

Situationship II: Jacob's story [LGBT+] [mxm]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara