Chapter 38

AN HOUR HAD passed before I was able to stop sobbing. It was then that I noticed Amy's family and my parents all gathered around me. At the restaurant several other cops had arrived and my parents and other patrons gave accounts of what they had seen. When all was said and done, my parents filed harassment charges through the officer, while Jarred and his mom faced separate charges for their conduct towards him. All of that occurred off in another plane of existence for me though, as I barely acknowledged anything. I had come out of my stupor just enough to keep my parents and Melanie from admitting me into a hospital. I had resumed my sobbing all the way home until now, whenever that was.

"You're safe now Tiffany, things are going be all right sweetie," my mom was still repeating over and over again to me as she rocked me back and forth. As I controlled my emotions finally, I felt exhausted. They seemed to notice I was coming out of it too, and conversation that had been going on stopped.

"Sorry..." I croaked meekly with a hoarse voice.

"It's okay Tiffany, it's understandable," Melanie said across from me. I felt her hand brush my eyes with a Kleenex.

"Why?" I asked. I think they understood me.

"I don't know," Amy's dad said, "her son had to get it from somewhere, and it must have been from her. I'm sure she was genuinely upset that her son lost his eye, and the broken arm and ribs can't have helped her, no matter the reason. I have a feeling that she'll be using insanity as a defense..." he said and stopped. I wondered if he was thinking he said too much.

"I'm sorry for being such a drama queen..." I said as I tried to sit up. I was really light headed though.

"If we thought you could help it, we would have spanked you," Dad said to me in a manner that made me wonder if he was joking or not. I hadn't been spanked in years, although I was sure he could still do it to me and make it hurt... 'He wouldn't make me hurt, though would he?' I started thinking and had to force myself to control myself from going into another stupor.

"Here Tiff, drink this," Amy said handing me a glass of water. I guzzled it down before I realized what I was doing. I was really dehydrated.

"Not too fast," Melanie said too late. She sent Amy for another glass.

"Are you going to be okay?" Mom asked me.

I shook my head, "I don't know... I thought I was finally starting to get past this..." I felt my chest heave two more sobs before I stopped it. I couldn't fall into that pit again... I might not come out of it. For however long it was I tried so many times to control myself, but couldn't. It was frightening!

"Why don't we get you changed into something more comfortable," Mom suggested. I was still in my uniform so I shrugged.

"Okay..." Mom and Melanie ended up helping me stand and helped me back to my bedroom. I didn't even remember how we got home. I had to be undressed like a little kid... I just couldn't manage my motor skills right then without falling over. After they managed to get me dressed, they helped me get back to the living room where I noticed I was freezing. I started shaking.

"Why am I so cold all of the sudden?" I asked my teeth chattering. Mom and Melanie looked worried while Amy went and got a blanket for me.

"I think you're in shock sweetie," Melanie told me gently.

"I know I'm in shock," I chattered to them. Thankfully the spell didn't last too long though... I was feeling good and numb by around nine o'clock, just happy not to be bawling like a baby, freezing, or anything else at that moment. Amy's dad and my dad had disappeared in the kitchen to talk after they saw I was okay, while Mom, Melanie, and Amy stayed by my side trying to help me any way they could.